It can't be said that Amazon did what it took to make it easy to read EPUB files on the Kindle Fire. However, even if the device does not know how to handle this format by default, it is easy to get around this obstacle by downloading and installing one of the many applications that are compatible with EPUB and Kindle Fire yourself. Although each EPUB file reader application has its own specifics, the procedure for recovering and working with EPUB files remains the same for all applications.
Part 1 of 4: Prepare your Kindle device
Step 1. Set your device to accept third-party applications
By default, the Kindle Fire is configured to deny applications from “unknown sources”. This setting can be changed and here's how.
- Tap on the gear-shaped “Settings” icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Use the vertical scroll bar to reach the bottom of the “Settings” menu, then select “More” to access more options.
- In the new menu, press “Device”.
- Scroll through the options in the "Device" menu until you reach the line "Allow installation of applications from unknown sources". Tap the two-position switch to turn it "On".
- Close the menu.
Step 2. Make sure a file explorer is installed on your Kindle Fire
This application which may seem essential is surprisingly not available by default on the Kindle Fire! Fortunately, it is very easy to get a free file explorer, especially in the "App Store" of Amazon and you are spoiled for choice.
- Open the Amazon App Store application in your Kindle Fire by tapping on the icon that represents it.
- Search for a file explorer by entering "File Expert" or "ES File Explorer" in the text field of the "App Store" interface.
- In the page dedicated to the application you have chosen, press the "Continue" button below the "Get this application" line.
- Follow the instructions given to you to download and install the application. As soon as the installation is complete, a message appears to inform you.
Part 2 of 4: Download an EPUB File Player App
Step 1. Find a free EPUB file player app
The choice is vast. Before downloading any of these applications, be sure to read the description of them on the dedicated page to make sure that it allows you to read EPUB files. Also check that it is free. Indeed, some applications for reading EPUB files are chargeable. Among the most popular applications are:
- Cool Reader:
Step 2. Load the application onto your Kindle Fire from a computer
This is because you can download the application's installation file to your computer, connect your Kindle Fire to your computer, then drag and drop the file from a folder on your computer to a folder on your Kindle Fire.
- Go to the download page for your chosen application, then follow the instructions to retrieve the installation file from your computer's hard drive.
- Connect your Kindle Fire to your computer using a USB cable.
- Drag the installer file to a folder on your Kindle Fire in your computer's file explorer.
Step 3. Email the installation file to yourself
If this file is on your computer, you can transfer it to your Kindle Fire by attaching it to an email message.
- First, download the file to your computer.
- Open the e-mail management software on your computer. Attach the file to a new email that you are going to send to one of your email addresses.
- Open the email using your Kindle Fire's web browser, then download the attachment.
Step 4. Download the app directly to your Kindle Fire
If you can connect to the internet with your Kindle Fire, you don't even have to use a computer.
Use your Kindle's web browser to go to the application's download page, then follow the instructions to retrieve the installation file
Step 5. Install the application
As soon as the download is complete, a window will appear asking you if you want to install the application.
- Confirm that you want to install the app and follow the instructions to complete the process.
- If this window does not appear, use the text field at the top of your Kindle's interface to search for the file you just downloaded. As soon as you have located the installation file for the app, tap on it to start the process.
Part 3 of 4: Download Books in EPUB Format
Step 1. Download EPUB files via USB cable
If you already have many EPUB format books on your computer hard drive, you can easily transfer them to your Kindle Fire by connecting the two machines with a USB cable.
- Start by connecting the two machines via a cable with a micro-USB type plug and another of standard USB type.
- In your Kindle, by dragging the cursor, go to the page that allows you to initiate a connection for file transfers. As soon as your Kindle is mounted, locate the folder that represents it in your computer's file explorer.
- Open a second explorer window and go to the folder that contains the EPUB files.
- Drag and drop to transfer files from one folder to another. Some EPUB applications have their own storage folder. If so, drop the EPUB files into this special folder. Otherwise, you can choose to transfer to the default storage folder named “KINDLE / ebooks”.
- As soon as the file transfer is complete, eject the Kindle from your computer by right-clicking on the icon that represents it in the taskbar and clicking on its name in the small menu that appears.
Step 2. Email the EPUB files to yourself
This is another way to retrieve the files on your Kindle, if they are stored on your computer hard drive.
- Create a new email using your computer. Enter one of your email addresses as the destination and attach the EPUB files (attachments) to the message (which may be empty). Then all you have to do is click on the "Send" button.
- Open a web browser in your Kindle Fire. Go to your email account and open the message you just sent yourself. Then download the EPUB files to the “KINDLE / Downloads” folder.
- From there, you can cut and paste the files to another folder specially created to store EPUB files.
Step 3. Download EPUB files to your Kindle directly from the internet
If you know of any websites where you can find books in the EPUB format that interest you, use a web browser in Kindle to visit the pages and download the files.
- If you have personal space in the cloud, you can upload your EPUB files to it from your computer for enjoyment on your Kindle.
- Some libraries allow you to "borrow" books for free by letting you download them in EPUB format. Usually, these files are formatted to be read only by specific applications.
- You can legally download books in EPUB format for free by going to websites like "Google Books" or "Project Gutenberg".
- To find download links, you can go to the authors or publishers pages.
- When you download an EPUB file, there is a good chance that it will end up in the “KINDLE / Downloads” folder. Nothing prevents you from cutting it to paste it in another folder of your Kindle Fire.
Part 4 of 4: Reading a Book in EPUB Format
Step 1. Import an EPUB book into the reading app
If the application you are using to play EPUB files has its own storage folder, usually you just need to upload the file to that folder to be imported into the application. If that does not work, perform the following operations.
- Launch the reader app by tapping on the icon that represents it in the apps panel.
- Press the "Files" button on the Home screen to access your Kindle's file system, then navigate to the folder where the EPUB files are located.
- Tap on the EPUB file you want to play. If you press "Open", it will only be opened temporarily in the app without being imported there. If you want to be able to directly access this file in the application library, you must tap on "Import".
Step 2. Tap an eBook to open it
Navigate to your app's library or shelf, then tap the eBook you transferred to open it.
- You can then read it on your Kindle like any other eBook format. The functionalities (bookmarks, highlighting, etc.) are not the same from one application to another, some offering more possibilities than others.
- Anytime you want to read an EPUB file on your Kindle Fire, the reading app you installed will be used.