You can export high definition iMovie video to a file on your machine or to a service like YouTube. As long as you start with excellent video quality, you can choose from 3 HD resolutions to get exactly the result you are looking for.
Method 1 of 2: Export HD video to macOS
Step 1. Open iMovie
Use this method if you want to export HD video to a folder on your Mac. Once the video is exported, you can watch and share it as you like.
Step 2. Click on the video you want to export
Select the video in the "Libraries" panel.
Step 3. Select File
This menu is at the top of the screen.
Step 4. Click Share
Step 5. Select File
This option can be found in the menu To share.
If you want to share your video directly to a website, click on the name of the site in question (Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
Step 6. Type a name for your video
In the dedicated text field, type the name you want to give to your video.
If you share the video on a website, this text will become the title of the video
Step 7. Type some labels in the Labels field
This step is useful if you are sharing your video on YouTube or Vimeo and want others to find it easily.
Step 8. Click the Resolution menu to choose a resolution
Choose 720p, 1080p or 4k for high definition. Not all of these options are available for all videos because you cannot export low quality video in high definition.
- 720p is high definition at 1280 x 720 pixels. Choose this option for a high quality file that transfers quickly and does not take up a lot of disk space.
1080p is high definition at 1920 x 1080 pixels (5 times the quality of
720 p). You will have a larger file with a longer transfer time than with 720p.
- 4K is ultra high definition (UHD) at 4096 x 2160 pixels. It offers 4 times the quality of 1080p so expect a large file and a longer transfer time.
Step 9. Adjust other settings if you are sharing your video on a website
If you are exporting it as a file, you can skip this step.
- Click on the menu Categories to choose a YouTube category.
- Select Visible by Where Private to configure privacy.
Step 10. Click on the Quality menu to adjust the quality of your video
You will not see this option if you are sharing your video on a website. To see how each setting affects the file size, click an option to see the file size below the preview.
- To choose High will give you the best quality without making the file too large.
- To choose Optimal will use ProRes, which is professional grade. The file will be very large.
Step 11. Select Compress to choose the compression rate
This option is only visible if you are exporting your video as a.
- Choose Faster if the size of the file scares you. The quality will not be as good, but it will still be better than SD (standard).
- Choose Optimal quality if you prefer the clearest audio and video quality possible and the file size doesn't scare you.
Step 12. Click Next
If you are sharing your video on a website, you will be asked to enter your account information for that site. Follow the instructions to log in and complete the transfer. When the transfer is complete, you will see “Sharing successful”
Step 13. Type a name for the video
In the field Save as, type the name you want to give to the video.
Step 14. Open the folder where you want to save the file
Save the file to an easy-to-remember folder, such as Documents or Desktop. You can easily find it when you want to upload it to YouTube, burn it to DVD, etc.
Step 15. Click Save
After a few moments, you will find the HD version of your movie in the folder you have chosen.
Now that the video is saved as an HD file on your computer, you will be able to upload it to sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Drive, Dropbox, and any other site that accepts high definition videos
Method 2 of 2: Export iMovie video to iOS
Step 1. Open the iMovie app on your iPhone or iPad
If you're editing a project, tap Done at the top left and go to step 4
Step 2. Tap Videos
This option is at the top of the screen.
Step 3. Select the video you want to share
Step 4. Tap the share icon
It's at the bottom of the screen and looks like a square with an arrow pointing up.
Step 5. Select a sharing method
You can choose an app to share your video with or a location where you want it saved.
- For example, tap the Facebook icon if you want to share the video on Facebook.
- If you want to save the video as a file on your iPhone or iPad (you can always share it later), choose Record video.
Step 6. Follow the instructions to connect
If you are sharing your video on an app like Facebook or YouTube, enter your login information as instructed on the onscreen instructions.
Step 7. Select HD resolution
Choose from 4k (ultra HD), 1080p (HD) and
720p (HD). Note that not all apps or services support large HD files and you may not see all of these options.
- The 720p corresponds to 1280 x 720 pixels. The file size will remain small, but the video will be in HD quality.
- 1080p is HD at 1920 x 1080 pixels (5 times the quality of 720p). Saving or transferring will take longer than with 720p.
- 4K corresponds to 4,096 x 2,160 pixels, which is 4 times the quality of 1,080 p. Expect a larger file and a longer transfer time.