FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) files use free lossless audio compression codecs that preserve better sound quality compared to MP3 audio compression. Playing FLAC files requires installation of software or a filter that supports the FLAC compression format. With a little method, you will know how to make your computer play FLAC files in the same way as MP3 and other compressed audio formats.
Method 1 of 3: Install software that supports FLAC
Step 1. Install software on your computer that supports FLAC format as a built-in feature
This is a simple way to play a FLAC file without having to make any customizations or add-ons. Below, you can find 2 programs that may be of use to you.
- VLC Player: This media player is available for Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems. It was available for a while for iOS devices, but it was removed from the AppStore by Apple. The installation of VLC Player includes the VideoLAN client which supports FLAC files as well as Flash Video (FLV) and many other file formats. VLC is known for its ability to play almost any video file, and plug-ins play back files that were not playable by default. You can download VLC Player for free from their VideoLan website.
- Foobar 2000: this multimedia player also supports FLAC format as a basic functionality, which means that you will not have to install additional modules to play a FLAC file on Foobar 2000. You can download the player for free from their site Internet.
Method 2 of 3: Play FLAC Files with Windows Media Player
Step 1. Open FLAC files on Windows Media Player using Directshow filter
This is a plug-in that allows Windows Media Player to play FLAC files. Below, you can find the steps to follow for this.
- Download the Directshow filter. You can download it for free from the Xiph website.
- Double click on the downloaded file once the download is complete to be able to launch the installer.
- Accept the terms of the license agreement and click "Next". The installer will quickly install the Directshow filter (this will only take a few seconds) and notify you when the installation is complete.
Method 3 of 3: Open a FLAC file
Step 1. Open a file on VLC Player, Foobar 2000 or Windows Media Player by following the following steps
- Double click on the player icon to launch it. You should find the icon in question on your desktop.
- Click "Media" at the top left corner of the player.
- Select "Open" from the "File" menu.
- Find the folder where the file is saved.
- Select the file you want to play.
- Click the "Open" button to open the file in the media player of your choice.