When you have animals in Minecraft, you can make them mate. For this, you need 2 animals of the same species. Give them their favorite food to breed. This process can be performed in all versions of the game, whether for computer, console or mobile device.
Part 1 of 2: tame animals
Step 1. Choose a species
Determine which animals you can tame to breed. If the species you want to breed is not one of the following, this step is not necessary. The following animals must be tamed before pairing them:
- the llamas.
Step 2. Find suitable food
Obtain the resource that allows you to tame the chosen animal. You need the following foods to tame the corresponding species.
- Horse: No food is needed, but you must be empty-handed.
- A wolf: uses a bone.
- An ocelot: take raw fish of any species (in the mobile device version you need raw salmon or raw fish).
- A lama: you don't need food, but you must be empty-handed.
Step 3. Activate the food
Equip yourself with food to tame the animal you have chosen. If you are taming a horse or a llama, select an empty slot in the quick access bar of your inventory to make sure you have nothing in your hands.
Step 4. Select the animal
While holding the food that attracts it, right click on the animal, tap it on your screen or pull your left trigger while facing it.
- If it's a horse or a llama, you'll ride it when you select it. Go up and down several times until hearts appear above his head.
- To tame an ocelot, slowly approach it until you are 10 blocks away or less and wait for it to approach your character before selecting it.
Step 5. Wait for hearts to appear
You will see them above the animal's head. Continue to select it while holding the necessary food. When red hearts appear above his head, he will be tamed.
Step 6. Repeat
Repeat the process to tame another animal of the same species. Since it takes 2 animals for them to reproduce, you have to tame 2 of the same species to start a breeding.
Part 2 of 2: mating animals
Step 1. Find a couple
Choose 2 animals of the species you want to breed. If you have already tamed them, go directly to the next step.
2 animals of different species (like a wolf and a pig) cannot reproduce
Step 2. Build an enclosure
Install barriers around an open space. You can use fences or build a wall 2 blocks high. Make sure the space is large enough for animals to move around easily.
Step 3. Prepare a bait
Equip yourself with the favorite food of the chosen species. Depending on the type of animal, you will need one of the following resources.
- Horses: a golden apple or a golden carrot. You can make these foods by putting an apple or a carrot in the middle square of the workbench grid and a gold bar in each of the other squares.
- The sheeps: wheat.
- Cows and mushrooms: wheat.
- Pigs: a carrot, a potato or a beet.
- Hens: seeds, pumpkin seeds, melon seeds or beet seeds.
- Wolves (dogs): any meat. Wolves must be healthy in order to mate.
- The ocelots (cats): any fish.
- Rabbits: a dandelion, a carrot or a golden carrot.
- Llamas: a block of straw.
Step 4. Wait for the animals to follow you
They will turn to you and watch you almost as soon as you equip yourself with their favorite food. You can then attract them to bring them into the enclosure.
Step 5. Enter the enclosure
Go backwards, holding the food. As long as you hold the food, the animals will follow you into the enclosure.
Enter the enclosure completely to prevent the animals from staying too close to the entrance
Step 6. Feed the animals
Keep their food in hand and select them both to mate. Red hearts will appear above their heads.
If you feed a wolf and can't see the hearts above its head, its health bar isn't full. Keep feeding him until the hearts appear before repeating the process with the other wolf
Step 7. Get out
Lock up the animals. Once they turn to each other, quickly exit the enclosure and close it to prevent the animals from escaping once their cub is born.
Step 8. Wait for a baby to appear
A small animal will appear about 3 seconds after the adults start to mate.
- If you have chicken eggs, you can throw them on the ground to get more hens.
- If you're having trouble finding animals, switch to creative mode and spawn them using an egg.