BitTorrent is software that allows you to download a file from multiple people at the same time. When you download a file with BitTorrent, you also share the parts of the file that have already been downloaded with other people. The more popular the file, the more it is shared, and the faster the download. There are a variety of BitTorrent clients.
Part 1 of 2: Download and Install a BitTorrent Client
Step 1. Download a torrent client
BitTorrent is the oldest torrent client, and continues to be updated. It works on Windows and Mac OS X.
There are also other popular torrent clients such as uTorrent, qBittorrent, Deluge, and Vuze
Step 2. Install the torrent client
After downloading the torrent client of your choice, open the installer file and follow the instructions to install the software on your computer.
Part 2 of 2: Find and Download a Game Using BitTorrent
Step 1. Find the game to download
Using a search engine, do a search to find torrent files for the game you want to download. To use a torrent client, you need a torrent file. Use a search engine to find specific types of files. In Google's search engine, enter filetype: torrent followed by the name of the game you want to download.
You can also type the search filetype: torrent followed by the name of the game in the search engine of Bing, Yahoo !, or DuckDuckGo
Step 2. Select one of the search results
Torrent sites are often filled with pop-ups and adult ads. Also, these sites are often closed for copyright infringement, and may not be operational.
- By clicking on a search result, you will be taken to a site where you can download the game's torrent file, if the download is not done automatically.
- Torrent sites often display the number of seeders for each torrent file. Seeders are the people currently sharing parts of the torrent file.
Step 3. Go to the torrent client
Step 4. Open the downloaded torrent file
Depending on the torrent client you are using, you can drag and drop the torrent file into the torrent client window to open the file. Or either, you can open the file from the menu File, or simply double-click on the torrent file to open it.
Step 5. Download the game
Downloading the game would not be automatic. It will have to be done manually. Select the torrent file in the torrent client window, then click the download button represented by an arrow icon.
- When the game starts downloading, you might see how many people are uploading the file (seeders), and how many people you are sharing it with. The higher the number of seeders, the faster the download.
- After downloading the game, you can continue to share the file, leaving the software open.
- There are various game file formats suitable for each operating system, so be sure to download the correct version for your system.
- The lower the number of seeders, the slower the download.
- Downloading a game is not illegal, but sharing it is. Uploading or sharing a game as a torrent file can get you in trouble from the copyright holder of the game.
- If you are caught downloading a game with BitTorrent, you may receive a warning message from your Internet Service Provider (ISP). In this case, it is better to stop the download. If you continue, you run the risk of having your Internet service disconnected and being fined for copyright infringement.