Whether it is for training, professional needs or for your personal use, it is possible to record the screen of a computer under Windows 7. You can use the free program OBS Studio or ScreenRecorder for this.
Method 1 of 2: Use OBS Studio
Step 1. Go to the OBS Studio site
Open this page in your computer's web browser. OBS Studio is a free program that allows you to record your screen in high definition and save the recordings in video format to your computer.
Step 2. Click Windows
It's a green button at the top of the page. Click on it to download the OBS Studio configuration file to your computer.
Step 3. Find the downloaded configuration file
Usually the downloaded files are in the Downloads folder which you can open by pressing ⊞ Win + E and then clicking Downloads to the left of the window that appears.
Step 4. Double-click the OBS Studio configuration file
This will open the installation window.
Step 5. Install OBS Studio
To install OBS Studio:
- click on Yes at the command prompt
- select Following
- then I accept
- then Following
- click on To install
- wait for the installation to complete
Step 6. Launch OBS Studio
Make sure that the box Launch OBS Studio in the middle of the page is checked then click on To end. OBS Studio will open.
You can also start OBS Studio by double clicking the application icon on your desktop
Step 7. Follow the directions on the screen
When you start OBS Studio for the first time, you will be asked if you want to start the automatic configuration wizard. Click on Yes and follow the instructions.
Step 8. Click ＋
This button is located at the bottom left of the "Sources" window which is itself in the lower left section of the OBS Studio window. Click on it to open a context menu.
Step 9. Select Screen Capture
This option is at the top of the pop-up window and opens a new window.
Step 10. Check the New box
This box is at the top of the window.
Step 11. Enter a name for your capture
Type the name you want to save your capture under in the text field at the top of the window.
Step 12. Click OK
This button is at the bottom of the window.
Step 13. Click OK again
This will complete the setup and you can start recording.
- If you do not want to record your mouse cursor, first uncheck the box Capture the mouse cursor.
- If you are using multiple monitors, first click on the drop-down menu Display then select the name of the monitor you want to register.
Step 14. Click Start Recording
This button is located in the lower right corner of the OBS Studio window. Your recording will begin.
Step 15. Click Stop Recording when you are finished
This button is in the same place as the previous one. The video will be saved to your computer.
- To view your recordings, click File in the menu bar then on View records in the drop-down menu that opens.
Method 2 of 2: Use ScreenRecorder
Step 1. Go to the ScreenRecorder page
Open this page in a web browser.
ScreenRecorder is a free utility developed by Microsoft
Step 2. Click UtilityOnlineMarch092009_03.exe
This link is at the top of the window and allows you to download the ScreenRecorder file to your computer.
Step 3. Locate the downloaded file
Usually downloaded files are located in the Downloads folder. You can open it by pressing ⊞ Win + E then clicking on Downloads in the left sidebar of the window that appears.
Step 4. Double-click on the configuration file
The installation window will open.
Step 5. Install ScreenRecorder
To install ScreenRecorder:
- click on Yes at the command prompt
- select an installation folder by clicking on ⋯, by choosing a folder then clicking on OK
- click on OK
- confirm by clicking on OK when you are prompted
Step 6. Open the installation folder
Open the folder in which you installed ScreenRecorder then double click on the folder UtilityOnlineMarch09.
Step 7. Double-click on the 64-bit folder
It is located at the top of the installation folder.
- If your computer uses a 32-bit processor, double-click on the folder instead. 32 bit.
- You can check your computer's bit count if you are unsure whether it is 64 or 32 bit.
Step 8. Double-click on the ScreenRecorder icon
It looks like a computer monitor.
Step 9. Install Windows Media Encoder 9
Follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Step 10. Complete the installation of ScreenRecorder
Double-click the ScreenRecorder icon again and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the program in its default location.
Step 11. Open ScreenRecorder
Double-click the ScreenRecorder shortcut on your desktop.
Step 12. Select the item you want to save
Click on the drop-down menu to the left of the ScreenRecorder bar and select FULL SCREEN or a specific window.
Step 13. Check the Audio box to enable audio recording
If you have a microphone plugged in, you can check the box Audio to enable audio recording in addition to video capture. This will allow you to explain what you are doing in the video.
- ScreenRecorder uses Windows default settings for audio input.
- You can adjust the sound from the volume settings in the system tray.
Step 14. Flash the edges of the window you are recording
It is possible to flash the edges of the window you are recording. It won't show in the video.
- If you don't want the edges of the window to blink, check the box No Border Flashing before starting recording.
Step 15. Click OK
This button is located in the middle of the ScreenRecorder window and opens the recording tool.
Step 16. Specify a file name and location
Click the button at the top of the recording tool to specify a file name and location.
ScreenRecorder records in WMV format
Step 17. Click Start
ScreenRecorder will start recording the selected area.
- You can click the yellow button Pause to pause recording.
Step 18. Stop recording when you are finished
Click the red button Stop to stop recording and send the video file to the selected destination folder.
- OBS Studio is compatible with Windows 7 and later versions.
- If you just want to take a screenshot, you can use the Windows 7 Capture tool.
- Extended screen recording can take up a lot of hard drive space.
- OBS Studio is not suitable for recording video games or other programs that use a lot of RAM and processor resources.