Kindle mobile apps for iPhone / iPad and Android do not have an "Logout" or "Logout" button. Instead, users must “deregister” their device. Unregistering your device disassociates it from your Amazon account: you will no longer be able to make purchases or access content purchased with this account. Once you have deregistered your device (the option which best equates to "Sign Out"), you will be able to sign back in and associate the device with the same or a different account. It is also possible to unpair Android devices remotely through your Amazon account, a feature that prevents others from accessing your account if you lose your device or have it stolen!
Method 1 of 3: Unregister from Kindle app on iPhone / iPad
Step 1. Open the Kindle app
To do this, you have two possibilities:
- browse through your apps to find the Kindle app, which shows the silhouette of a person reading on a blue background,
- from your home screen, swipe right to display the search function. Tap the search bar, type Kindle, then click the app when it appears in the drop-down menu.
Step 2. Click the Menu icon
You will find this icon (three vertical lines) at the top left of your screen.
- If you are using an iPad, skip this step.
- If a book is open (whether on an iPad or iPod), tap the settings menu and then tap Library. This will bring you back to the main screen.
Step 3. Scroll to the bottom of the menu, then tap Settings
If you're using an iPad, tap the Settings icon. You will find this icon (a white cogwheel) at the bottom right of your screen
Step 4. Go to the Registration section and click Update
This will take you to the "Deregistration" page.
Step 5. Click Unregister this Kindle
You will then receive the following notification: "Unregister this device will delete all items downloaded to this Kindle, would you like to continue?" »If you re-register the device with the same account, your downloads will again be available in your library.
Step 6. Press OK
You will then be "logged out" from your account. Your device's connection to the Amazon account it was associated with is deleted.
Step 7. Log in to the Kindle app to register your device
- Press on Email or phone number then type the email address or mobile number associated with your Amazon account.
- Press on Password and type your Amazon account password.
- Click on Connect. Your device will automatically be registered with the Amazon account you just signed into.
Method 2 of 3: Unregister from Kindle app on Android
Step 1. Open the Kindle app
Step 2. Press the Menu button
You'll find this button (a thumbnail of the Kindle logo) at the top left of your screen.
- If a book is open, tap the settings menu and then tap Library. This will bring you back to the main screen.
Step 3. Locate the Your Account section and then click Settings
Step 4. Click Unregister this device
This option is located in the “Registration” section. You will then be "logged out" from your account. Your device's connection to the Amazon account it was associated with is deleted.
Step 5. Log in to the Kindle app to register your device
- Start the Kindle app.
- Press on Start reading.
- Enter the email address or mobile number associated with your Amazon account.
- Type the password for your Amazon account.
- Your device will automatically be registered with the Amazon account you just signed into.
Method 3 of 3: Deregister your Android device remotely
Step 1. Go to Amazon
Android users have the option to register their devices through the Amazon Appstore application. When you download it and connect to this application, your device is automatically registered and appears in the "Your devices" list. If you lose your device or have it stolen, this feature allows you to unlink it from your Amazon account.
This app is only compatible with Android devices
Step 2. Log into your account
- Enter your email address or phone number.
- Type your password.
- Click on Connect.
Step 3. Tap Hello, (your name) your account
You will find this to the left of "Test Prime".
Step 4. Scroll down to the Digital Content section
Then click on Your apps and devices.
Step 5. Click Your devices
Go to Your devices in the section To manage from the sidebar on the left of your screen.
Step 6. Tap Actions
Step 7. Select Unregister this device
You will be "logged out" from your account. In effect, your device's connection to the Amazon account it was associated with is deleted.