Learn how to use HandBrake today to convert a VOB file (the file format found on DVDs) to MP4. The latter is compatible with most devices and media players.
Step 1. Visit the HandBrake download page
Go to the site https://handbrake.fr with a browser. This is a free file converter that is compatible with Windows and macOS.
However, HandBrake may not work on macOS Sierra
Step 2. Click Download HandBrake
This is a red button located at the bottom of the download page. When you click on it, you will be prompted to download the program to your computer.
- In some cases, you may need to confirm the download first or choose a save location.
- You will also see on the button the number of the current software version (eg HandBrake 1.1.0).
Step 3. Double click on the installation file
You will find it in the default download folder on your computer.
- If you have trouble finding the installation file, just do a handbrake search in Spotlight (Mac) or the Start menu (Windows) and click on the first result.
- Downloading the HandBrake installation file takes only a few minutes.
Step 4. Follow the installation instructions
- Under Windows:
- when prompted, confirm HandBrake's access to your computer,
- click on Following at the bottom of the installation window,
- select I accept on the next page,
- click on To install on the next page, then To end at the end of the installation.
- On a Mac:
open the file and drag it to the Applications folder
Step 5. Insert your DVD into your computer
In most cases, you will do this by sliding the DVD into the disc drive that is on the right of your laptop (or the front of the system unit if it is a desktop computer.). However, you would first have to press a button to eject the disc tray on most computers running Windows.
- There are some Mac computers that do not have disk drives. In that case, you can pick up an external disk drive for around $ 80.
- If your computer's media player opens when you insert the DVD, be sure to close it before continuing.
Step 6. Open HandBrake
This software is represented by the pineapple icon placed to the right of a cocktail. You will see the HandBrake shortcut on your desktop by default after installation, but if not, look for it in the Start menu or in Spotlight on Windows or macOS respectively.
Step 7. Click on the file or folder icon on the left side of the window
You will see a clap icon at the bottom of the menu Queue (file) in the upper left corner of the HandBrake window.
- You will probably see the name of the video in a given format to the right of the option Source.
- You can also click on Open source (open source) at the top left of the software window to select your VOB file.
Step 8. Change the conversion settings as needed
HandBrake will generally optimize the VOB file for a seamless transition to MP4 format. However, double check these options before continuing.
- The file format: in the section Output Settings (output settings) which is in the middle of the window, make sure that the option Container either on MP4. If not, click on the menu and select MP4.
- File resolution: choose the resolution of your choice on the right of the window.
Step 9. Click Browse
This option can be found in the section Destination. You will be prompted to choose the location where your new video will be created.
Step 10. Select a save location
Then rename the file. To do this, click on a backup folder, then write the name of the file in the dedicated field at the bottom of the dialog window that appears.
Step 11. Click Start Encode
This is a green button at the top of the HandBrake window. When you click on it, the software will start converting your DVD's VOB file to MP4. At the end of the process, you will see the converted file in your chosen backup folder.
- When you are on the HandBrake download page, you have the option to click Other Platforms (other platforms) at the bottom of the red button to choose another operating system (Ubuntu or macOS for example) other than the one you are using.