Podcasts are a great way to automatically get updates on shows you regularly listen to on the web. Winamp, which is a media file player that can be downloaded for free in Windows or Mac versions, allows you to listen not only to audio files stored locally, but also to podcast broadcasts. In this article, you will learn how to save the address of a podcast feed in Winamp so that you do not miss any episode of the broadcast.
Step 1. Launch Winamp
Click on the icon representing the program on the desktop, or on the main executable file (winamp.exe) located in the Winamp folder.
- If you don't have Winamp on your computer, install it after downloading it from its official website (www.winamp.com).
Step 2. Go to the podcast panel
Make sure the "Media Library" tab below the player is selected. In the left panel, click on “Podcasts”.
You should be able to see the “Recordings” row below “Podcasts”
Step 3. Click on the “Records” line
The main Winamp panel will then display all of the podcast shows you have subscribed to.
Step 4. Click the “Add” button
You can find this button below the panel titled "Channel". As soon as you clicked on it, a small window titled "Adding an RSS subscription" appears in which you will have to paste the address of a podcast feed.
Step 5. Find a podcast show
Open your web browser and type in your favorite search engine the keywords that correspond to the show you want to listen to.
If the show is being broadcast as a podcast, copy the address of its RSS feed
Step 6. Return to Winamp
Paste the address in the text field of the "Adding an RSS subscription" window. If you do not know the podcast broadcast cycles, you can leave the default settings and validate by clicking on the "Add" button.
Step 7. Use custom settings for podcast update in Winamp
To do this, click on the radio button preceding "Used personalized parameters", then select, using the two drop-down menus, the update frequency and the number of episodes retrieved in index.
- When you are satisfied with your settings, validate the registration by clicking on the "Add" button.
- The podcast then appears in the "Channel" panel and the episodes are displayed in the "Element" panel. Double-click an episode to listen to it.
- Make sure the link you paste is an RSS address. Only this type of address allows an automatic update of the podcast directly in Winamp. If you do not enter an RSS address, it will either be rejected by Winamp or it will be accepted, but the podcast will not be updated.
- Podcasts are streamed, which means that the quality of the picture or sound you receive depends on the bandwidth of your internet connection.