Facebook provides the ability to share articles, photos, videos and other content posted by different users. This content can be shared on your own news feed, on a friend's news feed, on a page you manage or in the Messenger application.
Method 1 of 2: Share a post on a desktop
Step 1. Log in to Facebook
Open the web browser of your choice and go to Facebook. If you're already signed in, you'll see your news feed.
If you are not yet logged in, first enter your email address and then your password before proceeding to the next step
Step 2. Find the post you want to share
Scroll down your news feed to the post you want to share.
You can also go to the profile of the person who shared the post and search for it in their journal
Step 3. Make sure the post can be shared
Not all posts can be shared. If the person who created the content defined Friends Where Friends and their friends as a privacy setting, you will not be able to share it. Look for the button To share under the post and if it's there, that means sharing is possible.
Sharing options vary depending on the privacy settings set by the post creator
Step 4. Click Share
This button is located below the post and opens a drop-down menu.
Step 5. Select a sharing option
From the drop-down menu, click one of the following options (not all of these options will always be visible).
- Share Now (Public): allows you to immediately share the publication on your newspaper without adding additional text.
- To share…: opens the post in a New Post window in which you can add text (for example a comment).
- Send as message: opens a Messenger window where you can specify a friend (or a group of friends) to send the post to.
- Share on a friend's diary: Opens a New Post window where you can specify a friend's journal as a share location.
- Share on a Page: opens a New publication window from which you can share the publication on one of the pages that you manage.
Step 6. Add text to your post
If you create a new post in your journal, if you share a post in a private message, or if you share a post on a page or a friend's journal, you have the option of entering a message or tagging a post. person in the text field in the New Post window.
- If you're sharing the post in a private message, you'll need to enter a friend's name in the To field.
- If you are sharing the post on a page that you manage, you will need to select the page in the upper left corner of the New Post window.
- If you are posting the shared content to a friend's diary, enter the friend's name in the text field Friends at the top of the window.
Step 7. Click Publish
If you've added text to shared content, you'll find this button at the bottom right of the window. Click on it to publish the shared content.
- If you're sharing the post in a message, click Send.
Method 2 of 2: Share a post on mobile
Step 1. Open Facebook
Tap the white "f" icon on a dark blue background to open the Facebook app. If you're already signed in, the app will open on your news feed.
If you are not yet logged in, first enter your email address followed by your password
Step 2. Find the post you want to share
Scroll down to the post that interests you.
You can also go to the journal of the person who posted the content and search for it there
Step 3. Make sure it is possible to share the post
Some posts cannot be shared. For example, if the content is only visible to Friends where the Friends and their friends of the person who created it, you won't be able to share it. Look for a share button under the post. If there is one, you can share it.
The sharing options available again depend on the privacy settings of the post creator
Step 4. Tap Share
This option is under the post and opens a menu.
Step 5. Add text to the post
If you want to share the post on your own page with a comment (or tag), tap the text field above the option Share now then enter the text you want to add.
Only do this if you want to share the post on your journal
Step 6. Select a sharing option
Choose one of the options below depending on which sharing method you prefer (you won't necessarily see all of these options).
- Share now: share the post directly to your journal. If you added text to the post, the text will be included. Otherwise, the post will be shared without any additional text.
- Send as message: opens a list of your contacts in the Messenger application. If you want to add text to the post before sending it as a message, type the text in the field at the top of the Messenger screen.
- Share on a page (on iPhone): Opens a post window where you can add text before posting the shared content on a page you manage. You can select another page by tapping the page name at the top of the screen and then the page you want to use. You can also select a friend's diary by pressing Friend's Diary then the name of the friend in question.
- Share on a page (on Android): Press on Facebook at the top of the pop-up menu and then select a location for the shared post.
- Copy link: Copy the link of the shared item to your phone's clipboard. You can then paste the link wherever you want (for example in a text message).
Step 7. Share the post
If you did not choose the option Share now, Press on Publish at the top right of the screen to post shared content.
- If you're sending the post as a message, tap SEND to the right of a contact name in Messenger.