Facebook allows users to interact using the comment system that allows comments to be made on posts. Users can comment on statuses, photos, links and more. Facebook comments differ depending on whether you're dealing with a personal profile or a page. So, learn the basics of Facebook commenting and then refine your comments with these best practices.
Part 1 of 3: apply the basics
Step 1. Create a personal Facebook profile
You must be registered on Facebook to be able to comment on profiles or pages. If you want to create a page for your business, you need to start by creating a personal profile that will act as the admin of the page.
Step 2. Become friends with the people you want to interact with
Most Facebook users limit interactions, instead of allowing the general public to comment.
- Use the search bar at the top of your profile to search for friends by name.
- Start using Facebook Suggestions once you have a few friends. Click on the tab Friends under the cover photo. Then click on the button To meet friends. Scroll down to the section labeled You May Know. Send a friend request to the people you want to be friends with.
- Return to the Friends tab to find friends using your email address. Find the Add personal contacts section on the right side of the page. Enter your Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, or iCloud address. Click on the button To meet friends and allow Facebook to import your email contacts and invite them to become your friends on Facebook.
Step 3. Use the same search bar to search for organizations, businesses, and media that you like
Click on I like to subscribe to these pages and be able to comment on their pages.
Step 4. Click the Home button on your profile to see the news feed, your friends' statuses, and the pages you have subscribed to
The news feed is updated every minute.
- You can also access the news feed on the Facebook application. Once you have downloaded the app to your phone, tablet or computer, type in your Facebook account details and click on the section Home.
Step 5. Choose a status or post you want to comment on
Click on the button Comment to see other comments and write your own.
Step 6. Scroll to the bottom of the existing comments
Type your comment in the bar then press Enter to post your comment.
Step 7. Edit your comment by hovering the cursor over the comment and clicking on the pencil that appears to the right of the highlighted column
Click on To modify and edit your text to correct it.
The comment will display the date and time of the last change you made. Friends can click the Changed link to see what you've changed
Step 8. Completely delete your comment by highlighting it and clicking on the pencil icon
Select To delete in the drop-down box. Confirm your wish to remove the comment.
Be aware that the recording of your comment may still exist on Facebook's servers
Part 2 of 3: Using Best Practices
Step 1. Include other people in your comments to increase interaction
Type the profile name of the person you want to include, and then select their profile from the list of results that appear automatically. Once you submit the comment, the person will be notified that you mentioned their name in a comment.
- By the same method, you can also insert a Facebook page in your comment.
- Type the @ symbol, then type the name of the page to insert it.
Step 2. Do not post obscene photos, links or words on Facebook
You can be removed from Facebook for hate speech, nudity, bullying, or harassment, as listed in Facebook's Community Standards. Offensive or threatening comments can lead to police intervention and jail time.
Step 3. Report inappropriate comments by going to the post where the comment appears
Find the Options button. Select Report in the list of options.
Step 4. Use the comments on the pages to your advantage
You can use Facebook Pages as a way to contact a customer service department or to get help with a product.
Step 5. Don't make inappropriate comments
Even if you delete a comment, people may have already read it. Written words rarely communicate humor, sarcasm or passion as in speaking.
Part 3 of 3: Use Best Practices for Business Pages
Step 1. Ask questions in your Facebook posts to encourage comments
After posting the status, check the notifications often to respond to comments, to increase the success of your post.
Step 2. Activate the responses
Facebook pages have the functionality to activate responses as well as comments. This means you and your fans can push the button To respond to respond directly to a particular comment.
- Go to the page you are administering. Only page administrators can activate the Answer function.
- Select Edit the page up. Click on the tab Settings.
- Scroll down until you find the Answers option. Click on To modify to activate the function, then select Allow responses to comments on my page. Save the changes.
Step 3. Use Facebook comments as a customer service tool
Do not remove negative comments or questions about the usefulness of your product. Respond by thanking the person for the comment and providing useful information.
Step 4. Beware of trolls
If anyone uses offensive or controversial comments, it may be a troll who is trying to incite controversy on your page. Block a user you think is a troller by hovering over their last comment and clicking Delete and ban this user.
Once you ban the person, they will no longer be able to comment on your posts
Step 5. Respond to all comments
Unless the person wrote just a complaint, consider thanking your fans or including other links in the responses for more information. If your Facebook page becomes popular, you can be more selective about your responses.