Find out if someone is signed in to Facebook Messenger. You'll see your active friends if the Messenger app is open on their phone or if their chat visibility is turned on while they're on their Facebook page.
Part 1 of 2: Check a Person's Status on a Phone
Step 1. Open Facebook Messenger
If prompted, enter your password and username, then press CONNECT WITH FACEBOOK.
Step 2. Tap People
This option is represented by the two person icon and can be found in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen.
On Android, the menu bar is also located at the bottom of the screen
Step 3. Tap Assets
The list of all your friends who are logged into Messenger will appear.
- You also have the option to search for friends by typing a text in the search bar at the top of the screen. This action will search for all your friends who are on Messenger, but you will see a small green dot next to the profile picture of those who are logged in.
- If a friend of yours doesn't have Messenger, you won't see them listed, even if they're logged in to Facebook right now.
Part 2 of 2: Check a Person's Status on a Computer
Step 1. Go to Facebook with a browser
If prompted, enter your email address or phone number and password, then click Log in.
Step 2. Click Contacts
This option is on the right side of the page and displays a list of your friends.
Step 3. Enter the friend's name in the search bar
This is at the bottom of the section Contacts.
Step 4. Look for names that have a green dot
This shows that these people are connected and available to chat.
However, some people may turn off their visibility in settings. If so, you won't be able to see them when they're online
- You can check the timestamp of a friend's posts to see when they connected.
- You won't be able to tell if someone is online or not if you don't have Messenger.
- If your friends aren't using Messenger or have turned off their visibility in privacy settings, then you won't be able to see them when they're online.