In France, a train driver can be a passenger, freight or shunting train driver. Your role is to guarantee the regularity and safety of traffic as well as the satisfaction of travelers. To become a train driver, you must be able to perform the first engine or train repairs in the event of a problem and your role is also to inform passengers about the conditions of the journey, especially in the event of an incident..
Step 1. Become a train driver
To apply for a job as a train driver, you must:
- be between 18 and 30 years old and have a clean criminal record,
- hold a CAP or a professional baccalaureate in the fields of electronics or electricity, a scientific baccalaureate or a professional baccalaureate in the maintenance of automated mechanical systems (the MSMA),
- pass a medical examination, a knowledge test and attend an interview.
Step 2. Take the training
If you are a beginner, you can take the work-study training offered by SNCF. This is theoretical training given in a partner school and / or in a SNCF training center. Theoretical training is supplemented by practical training during which you will be supervised by a professional tutor.
If you are an apprentice, this training offered by SNCF gives you the guarantee of acquiring personalized expertise thanks to a mobility leader. You will also obtain a recognized professional diploma and you will thus be able to envisage your professional future within the SNCF teams
Step 3. Apply for training
If you wish to apply for a train driver training at SNCF, go to the SNCF.com website and create a candidate account. Then download the registration form which is attached to the acknowledgment of receipt and return it after having duly completed it within 10 days (by post). If your profile matches the request, you will then be contacted by the recruiting team by phone.
Step 4. Take the recruitment tests
If your application is accepted, you will need to have a telephone conversation in order to deepen it. You will then be subjected to an evaluation of your professional skills which includes individual or collective tests such as professional situations and tests. You will then attend w individual interviews to assess your motivation.
- You will then have to undergo a medical examination and an evaluation will be made of your aptitudes concerning the security missions which may vary according to the position which interests you.
- At the start of your career, your salary will be around 1,700 to 1,900 euros gross per month. To this salary will be added bonuses for work on Sundays, night work or work on public holidays.
- With an additional mention (MC) of transport agent in railway operation (bac + 1), a train driver can become a traffic operator.
- To be a RATP train driver, you must be at least 21 years old. To exercise this profession, a bac S is recommended (general bac) as well as the professional bac ELEEC and MSMA. You can also become a train driver by having a BP or a CAP specialized in electronics, electrical engineering or mechanics. The STI2D science and technology baccalaureate in industry and sustainable development is also accepted.