The Synagogue, Church of All Nations (SCOAN) is well known for its claims of healings by faith and miracles. If you want to get there, you will need to plan your visit in advance.
Part 1 of 3: Planning your visit
Step 1. Get ready to answer questions about your health
Many people visit The SCOAN because they desire to be cured of an illness or disability. Therefore, you will need to answer questions related to your health when submitting your application.
- Most sanitary conditions will not negatively impact your application, but, if you have any health issues that prevent you from traveling, you may not be eligible for accommodation on The SCOAN premises, as those - these are located on the upper floors of the synagogue.
- If you are not eligible for accommodation at The SCOAN, you can have someone else replace you or you can schedule the visit through the prayer line. In the latter case, you will need to book in separate accommodations.
Step 2. Complete the online questionnaire
This questionnaire constitutes your visit request and you can access it via the SCOAN website. Fill it out honestly and completely before submitting.
- You can access the form here:
- You will need to provide your basic information (name, age, gender, nationality) as well as contacts (phone number, email address). You must also provide the name and contact information of a parent.
- Indicate whether or not you are sick. If you are, you must specify the nature of your illness, its symptoms, its duration and other related information.
- You will also need to specify if you are HIV positive or have a physical disability that prevents you from moving around freely.
- Note that if you plan to be accompanied by someone else, each must complete a separate questionnaire. Indicate the person with whom you plan to come in the last “Comments” section of the form.
Step 3. Wait for confirmation
After studying your questionnaire, The SCOAN officials will contact you to let you know if and when you will be able to visit the Synagogue.
Do not start any travel booking process until you have received confirmation
Step 4. Stay in touch with The SCOAN
If you need to contact the church before or after receiving confirmation, you can do so by sending an email to: [email protected]
Part 2 of 3: Organize your trip
Step 1. Obtain a passport
This famous church is located overseas, which means that if you don't have a passport yet, you will need to apply for and obtain it before you board the flight.
- You will need to provide proof of citizenship and proof of identity when you initiate your passport application. A passport photo is also required.
Fill out the appropriate form for your country and submit it in person to an agency or acceptance center. In France, you will have to spend € 30 for an emergency passport and € 89 for an “ordinary” passport.
- After obtaining a passport, you can apply for a visa.
Step 2. Obtain an entry visa to Nigeria
Anyone who does not live in West Africa will need a visa to enter Nigeria, the country where The SCOAN is located.
- The visa must be obtained from the Nigerian Embassy.
- Once you receive a confirmation from The SCOAN, you will receive an official letter of invitation. You must attach this letter to the visa application form.
- You must apply for a Nigerian tourist visa. Your applications and fees should be submitted to the Nigeria Immigration Service website:
- You will need to complete the online form, print it out and submit it to the Nigerian Embassy in Paris.
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Consular section
- 173 avenue Victor Hugo
- 75116 Paris, France
- Along with the application form, you must provide a passport, two photos, an invitation and a bank statement. If you wish not to stay at The SCOAN premises, you must also provide confirmation of your reservation at a hotel.
Step 3. Plan your flight
You will need to plan your own flight with any airline of your choice. Your flight's scheduled arrival should coincide with the first day of your visit.
After you have booked your flight, you should contact The SCOAN and report the date and time of your arrival to them. Church representatives will hear you at the airport as well
Step 4. Make housing arrangements
Unless you have a disability and The SCOAN buildings are not as well equipped to deal with your problem, you can and should make arrangements with the church to stay in one of the rooms at the facility.
- There are dorms, family rooms and private rooms.
- Each room is equipped with a shower, toilet and air conditioning.
- The church also has a dining room and three full meals a day are served there.
- If you need additional drinks, snacks or toiletries, you can purchase them in the church shop.
- If The SCOAN cannot accommodate you, you can contact the church administration and ask to recommend a nearby hotel. However, you will need to make a reservation and pay the fees yourself.
Part 3 of 3: making the trip
Step 1. Plan the length of your trip
Most foreign tourists stay for a week, but it is also possible to schedule the tour for a single day, in case you only want to visit the church prayer line.
- Day tours are usually chosen when a physical disability or serious illness prevents the visitor from staying for a week. Otherwise, most foreign guests prefer to stay for a whole week.
- The actual prayer line at The SCOAN is every Sunday. If you are planning to stay there just for a day, then Sunday would be perfect.
- On a seven-day tour, you will be able to attend various church services, watch faith-building videos, listen to various testimonies, and listen to lectures from Prophet TB Joshua (the founder of the church).
- You can also visit the Faith Resort Ground, where you can visit houses of prayer or other places of prayer and meet other devotees.
Step 2. Dress accordingly
When planning your trip, remember that The SCOAN is located in a country with a hot and humid climate.
- The air temperature in Lagos is constantly maintained at around 26 to 35 degrees Celsius.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that can keep you cool.
- Also, keep in mind that your clothes should be quite modest. Try to avoid wearing small outfits during your visit.
Step 3. Bring cash
Many basic items will be provided during your stay, but, if you would like to take advantage of some additional services offered by The SCOAN, you will need to pay for them in cash.
- Internet and telephone on the premises must be paid for.
- Any purchase made in the church store must also be paid for in cash.
- SCOAN accepts cash payments in US Dollars, Pounds Sterling and Euros.
Step 4. Trust the official representatives during your stay
From the moment you arrive, until you leave, you must rely on The SCOAN representatives to guide and help you, instead of wandering around on your own.
- As long as you have contacted The SCOAN with your flight information, a representative will meet you at the airport and escort you to church. At the end of your stay, a representative will also accompany you to the airport.
- If you are staying in a residential area near the church, you should never leave the premises. The only time you may be able to do this is to visit the offsite prayer retreat center. However, even then, you will be guided there by church staff.
Note that the use of tobacco and alcohol is prohibited during your stay on the premises of the church
- However, be careful when planning a visit to The SCOAN. Parts of Nigeria are seen by international authorities as high-risk areas, with frequent kidnappings, robberies and other armed attacks. As of 2014, Lagos was not one of those security threats, but you should always exercise caution and avoid leaving The SCOAN premises unless it is really necessary.
- Note that in September 2014, part of the church buildings collapsed, killing around 80 people and injuring many more. Currently, there may be a risk to Hosts who choose to visit and stay at the premises.