To be forward thinking, you need to have guts, follow your dreams and not worry about the obstacles in your way. Follow your dreams without worrying about your opponents. You have to take risks and challenge yourself all the time to be ahead of the curve.
Method 1 of 3: Take life by the horns
Step 1. Take risks with your life to experiment
Forward thinking people are always ready to try new things. You don't have to go skydiving if that's not your thing, but you should accept invitations from people you barely know, try new cuisine you didn't know before, or prepare for a last minute outing to go hiking in the mountains. Don't always do the same things and make a goal of doing something new at least once a week.
- To be avant-garde, you must fill your life with new ideas, new knowledge and new places. To stay ahead of these ideas, you need to expose yourself to them all the time!
- Start small if you're feeling shy. Take a vacation on your own, find a new hobby you've always wanted to try, or try a new bar or club.
Step 2. Follow your dreams, even if they are unlikely
It might seem unrelated to the topic, but by being aware of your dreams and chasing them, you will become more confident and cooler. To be forward thinking you need to see things a little differently, do something unique, and not have a problem with not following what you are supposed to follow. Pablo Picasso, Albert Einstein and Coco Chanel were all avant-garde in their own way, even if they looked eccentric or different for their time. They succeeded because they never stopped trying.
- Whatever your dreams are, be confident and comfortable with your goals. Why would it be foolish to want to be an actress or publish an amazing novel even though you know you are unlikely to succeed? By following your dreams, even if they seem unlikely, you will put yourself at the forefront.
- And if you don't know what you are dreaming about, now is a good time to ask yourself. You can't really be forward thinking if you feel like you don't have a goal or are going with the flow without really having a passion.
Step 3. Realize that even bad experiences make good stories
Do things even if they could go wrong. Unless you have a good reason to be afraid for your life or safety, sometimes you just have to do it for the experience. Forward-thinking people understand that things don't always turn out for the best right now, but it's these challenges and tribulations that form the basis of incredible stories for later in life.
While it's important to have goals, it's also important to live in the moment from time to time. Give importance to each experience. Do things because you want to do them
Step 4. Show your passion for life
You don't have to rush down the stairs as soon as your roommate crosses the threshold of the house or pick up your favorite book as soon as the person you like points their nose. Be absorbed. Be obsessed. Let yourself be completely absorbed. You can focus on something so much that you don't notice the things going on around you, the most important thing is to commit to taking care of what in life turns you on most.
Whenever you do an activity, give it your full attention and effort. In addition to being more avant-garde, you will learn faster and you will have more meaningful experiences
Step 5. Stand up for yourself and your loved ones
Forward thinking people don't hide when challenged. If someone criticizes you, spreads rumors about you, or says something mean about you, don't run away. You don't have to fight or insult it, but you should be proud of yourself enough to know that you deserve to be defended. Don't let anyone think he can get away with putting you down.
You will find that most people withdraw in the face of conflict. Don't force yourself to sue or punish them if they do, you have already won this battle
Step 6. Stay up to date
If you want to be forward thinking, you have to stay on top of the news. This means you get to see the latest award-winning movies, eat at the new Burmese restaurant everyone is talking about, and change your hairstyle and outfit more than once every five years. It also means you have to watch the news, read the newspapers, and be able to have an intelligent conversation about what's going on in the world.
- To be up to date, you don't have to copy all the latest fashions. There is a difference between being up to date with the latest fashions and following them obsessively.
- You may not always be up to date on every topic. Instead, try to immerse yourself completely in the subjects that interest you by following your passions.
Step 7. Surround yourself with people who challenge you
If you run next to someone who is running faster than you, you are going to run faster. If you run next to someone who is running slower, your body will naturally slow down. The same goes for your avant-garde side. If you know someone who is truly on the cutting edge, whom you deeply respect and admire, and want to emulate, hang out with that person.
- If you know a group of people who spend their nights talking about Marxism, respect the environment, or do something you are passionate about, you should make a habit of spending more time with them.
- You shouldn't see them as your “forward thinking” friends. Rather, see them as people who encourage you to develop your passion.
Method 2 of 3: Look forward to conversations
Step 1. Look others in the eye and stand up straight
When you run into someone, look them in the eye instead of looking at your feet or looking distracted. Show her that you are not afraid to make a connection and that you are completely confident. Keep your back straight and chin up, whether you are sitting or standing, and relax your shoulders by pulling them back. Good posture will help you look more confident, but also help you feel more confident.
- By making eye contact with others, you show them that you are confident and ready to take it to the next level.
- Do not let any part of your body hang down, especially your shoulders and chin. Keep these two parts of your body at the same level and contracted to help the rest of your posture fall into place naturally.
Step 2. Avoid trivialities and talk about things that are important to you
That doesn't mean you don't have to be friendly, it means you have to discuss the relationships, ideas, and ideologies that make the world go round, especially (and especially) if this is your first time. you meet someone. Challenge others by asking them deep questions, such as their hopes and goals, what they would like to do instead of going to work, and their opinions on major topics of the day.
- Don't be afraid to make others feel a little uncomfortable at first, you'll be surprised how many people will actually enjoy a deeper conversation instead of chatting about the weather.
- Follow your curiosity in the conversation, don't bring up certain topics just to be polite.
Step 3. Free your opinions, but make sure you can justify them
Forward thinking people tend to find themselves on extremes when it comes to their opinions. This does not mean that you have to have an opinion on everything, on the contrary. Rather, you need to delve deeper into the topics that matter to you, become a passionate lawyer and a leader in cutting-edge topics. Avoid the rest. It might sound counterintuitive, but you'll be a lot more forward thinking if you ignore a problem you don't know anything about instead of discussing everything and pretending you know it.
- Some opinions are not going to be popular, such as how you feel about your sister's new boyfriend or your political opinions. But just because your opinion isn't popular doesn't mean you should keep it to yourself.
- Forward thinking people need to be well informed about new developments and ideas, at least when it comes to their favorite topics. Don't think that in order to be in the forefront you don't have to be educated, even if you hate the education system.
Step 4. Speak only when you have something to say
Don't mince your words, offer halves of ideas, or give insincere compliments. There is nothing wrong with a thoughtful silence, especially if otherwise you would be forced into an unnecessary conversation. However, on the other hand, if you have something important to say, say it!
People are going to be on the lookout for compliments and advice, but it doesn't hurt to be honest if you have nothing to say. In fact, it is much more forward thinking than lying or ignoring the issue
Step 5. Ignore people who hate or overshadow you
Who really cares what the “herd” thinks? If they're laughing at you, smile and go. It doesn't mean that you are mean or off-putting. Rather, you realize that you can only control your behavior and that you are doing it very well. If you can't change the people who put you down, don't worry.
- Don't waste your time trying to please people you don't really care about.
- Do things for yourself, not because others think you should.
- Remember, the only person you can control is you, and that's a good thing! Forward thinking people focus on themselves.
Method 3 of 3: Find an avant-garde style
Step 1. Wear clothes that you like
Who really cares what other people think of your clothes, if they match or if you bought them at the flea market? Plus, does it really matter that you spend $ 4,500 on a new jacket? The only factor that determines whether or not you should wear an item of clothing is your willingness to wear it.
Buy your clothes anywhere, from garage sales, luxury stores, the supermarket, and worry about matching them later
Step 2. Mix different styles into the same outfit
Once again, if you think they look good on you, that's what matters. You are not going to be trendy by copying the same fashions as everyone else and you will only find new outfits that look good on you if you take risks.
Step 3. Be Inspired by the Style of Others
Don't think you have to be unique just to be unique. Paradoxically, you always let yourself be defined by what is "normal", you only choose to show the opposite. However, fashion isn't black and white and neither are you. When you see something you love, an outfit idea to try on, or some new accessories, go for it. Find your inspiration and ideas everywhere and you won't actually have stolen anything, you only incorporate it into your personal style.
- Always take into account the overall tone or look of the style you like. How can you keep the same tone without wearing the exact same clothes?
- If you only want to wear one uniform or the same outfit every day, you will always be forward thinking. Some people, for example Steve Jobs (black turtleneck and jeans) or Barack Obama (gray suit), got rid of the societal pressure to choose new clothes and instead prefer to wear the same clean outfit every day.
Step 4. Use accessories to enhance your look
Simple inexpensive accessories can enhance your avant-garde side. Girls can wear long chains (gold or silver), thin or thick bracelets. Both girls and boys can wear extravagant shoes, crazy earrings, and very dark sunglasses. Wear a pocket watch if it's something you like. Accessories allow you to stand out without breaking your budget.
Boys can use a sling bag or a trendy belt to enhance their look
Step 5. Consider a tattoo or a piercing
Yes, to be on the cutting edge you have to be yourself and you never have to get a tattoo just like everyone else. That being said, what are you waiting for to do it? Trendy people are often people with tattoos or other body modifications (like piercings) because they see their body as a temporary canvas. They know they only have one and they want to personalize it as it suits them. They don't care about the consequences because they don't matter, people who don't like their tattoos are too narrow-minded anyway to be worth wasting their time.
- Whatever you choose is up to you, but don't dismiss the idea of a work of art on your body just because you like it. Research the tattoo parlors near you to take a look at their work or ask if they can get you a custom tattoo.
- Get a tattoo done because you want it, not because it might look cool. If you like the design after two or three days, take the plunge.
- Be careful, tattoos can get addicting!