1. Open the Twitter app.
2. Tap Messages.
3. Select the message icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
4. Select a recipient by entering their name and pressing their nickname.
5. Tap Next.
6. Type your message.
7. Tap Send.
Method 1 of 2: Send a direct message (on a mobile device)
Step 1. Open the Twitter app
If the connection is not established automatically, enter your connection credentials to connect. To learn how to create a Twitter account, read this article.
Step 2. Select the envelope icon
The icon is located in the upper right corner of the screen.
Step 3. Select the new message icon
This is the icon represented by a chat bubble and a sign. + in the lower right corner of the screen.
Step 4. Enter the name of a user
Step 5. Select his nickname
His nickname will appear in the text box.
Step 6. Tap Next
Step 7. Type your message in the text box
You can also add photos or emoticons to it by pressing the icon for this purpose.
Step 8. Tap Submit
This button is located to the right of the text field, and will only appear after entering a text or GIF, or a photo or emoticon in the text box.
Depending on the recipient's notification settings, they may or may not receive a notification of your new message
Method 2 of 2: Send a direct message from the browser
Step 1. Go to www.twitter.com
Step 2. Log into your Twitter account
If you are already logged in, you will go directly to your news feed. To learn how to create a Twitter account, read this article.
Step 3. Click Message
This option is located in the upper left part, between the option Notifications and the Twitter icon.
Step 4. Click New Messages
Step 5. Enter the name of a user
Depending on the user's settings, you may be able to send them a message only if you are their subscriber.
Step 6. Press Enter
Step 7. Click Next
Push the button Following in the lower right corner of the window to access the messages window.
Step 8. Type your message
The text box is at the bottom of the window.
You can also add emoticons, GIFs, or photos to it by clicking on the corresponding icon, next to the text box
Step 9. Click Submit
The button Send is located in the lower right corner of the window, and will only be available after entering a message, GIF, emoticon or photo.
Depending on the user's notification settings, they may or may not be notified of your new message
- Once you have sent a direct message to someone, and they respond, simply click on the dialog box below the response to continue the conversation privately.
- You can also send a direct message from your profile page by clicking on the envelope icon.
- Sending messages to people to whom you have not subscribed may be considered spamming, and may cause them to unsubscribe or block you.
- You cannot cancel a message after sending it.