It is possible to edit and add styles to the WhatsApp font, both on iPhone and Android. Keep in mind that there is no workaround to change the font in WhatsApp permanently. You can only apply bold, italic, strikethrough, or use the FixedSys font to a specific section of text or to each message.
Step 1. Open WhatsApp
Press the WhatsApp icon, it is represented by a white speech bubble with a telephone handset in its center on a green background.
If WhatsApp displays a sign-in screen, follow the on-screen instructions to sign in with your phone number
Step 2. Tap Chats
It's a speech bubble icon at the bottom of the screen. This will open the list of your conversations.
- On android, you will need to press the tab DISC at the top of your screen.
- If WhatsApp opens a chat, then press the button Return located in the upper left corner of the screen, to return to the discussion list.
Step 3. Select a discussion
Select the discussion in which you want to send messages with a different font.
- You can also start a new chat by tapping the icon New discussion (top right on iPhone and bottom right on Android) and selecting a contact.
Step 4. Tap in the input field
It's at the bottom of the screen. By doing this, you will bring up the keyboard.
Step 5. Type a message
Type the message you want to send with a different font.
Step 6. Change the font
Several solutions are available to change the font of your messages.
- To make the text bold, type an asterisk * at the start and end of the message. For example, * Hi! * Will be displayed Hi !
- To italicize the text, type an underscore _ at the beginning and at the end of the message. For example, _How are you? _ Will be displayed How are you?
- To strike out your text, type a tilde ~ at the start and end of the message. For example, ~ I made a mistake ~).
Step 7. Use the FixedSys font
By typing three grave accents `` before and after your message, you can unlock a hidden font that looks like the one used in "Command Prompt" or "Terminal".
- For example, `` Machines will replace men`` will become
Machines will replace menonce sent.
- On iPhone, you will have to press the buttons 123 of the keyboard. Then, press and hold the apostrophe key, and select the leftmost option of the popup window to get a grave accent.
Step 8. Send your message
Tap the icon Send
which is to the right of the text field. Your message will be automatically formatted and sent.
The symbols you have inserted at the beginning and at the end of your message will not be visible in the conversation
- IPhone users can also tap and hold text to display a popup window. Then press Select all in the menu to select all the text, then press G, I Where S in the menu that appears to put your text in bold, italics or underline it. This option also exists for devices running Android. You will need to press and hold the text to select it, then press ⋮ in the upper right corner and select the formatting to apply (for example, G for bolding the text).
- Only the text between the formatting symbols will be affected by your changes.
- There is no way to permanently edit text in WhatsApp.