WhatsApp is a messaging application that can be downloaded for free on an iPhone or Android. You can also download and install the desktop program on a Windows machine or Mac. Once you have downloaded WhatsApp, you will be able to create an account to start using it immediately.
Method 1 of 3: Download WhatsApp on iPhone
Step 1. Open the App Store on your iPhone
Tap the App Store app icon that looks like a white "A" on a light blue background.
Step 2. Tap Search
This tab is located at the bottom right of the screen.
Step 3. Select the search bar
This is the App Store text field at the top of the screen. Your iPhone keyboard will appear.
Step 4. Search for WhatsApp
Type whatsapp then press the blue button To research at the bottom right of the keyboard.
Step 5. Tap GET
This option is to the right of the "WhatsApp Messenger" header in the middle of the screen.
- If you've downloaded WhatsApp before, you'll see a cloud-shaped download icon instead.
Step 6. Scan your fingerprint when prompted
The WhatsApp application will be downloaded to your iPhone.
- If you don't have Touch ID or it's not configured for the App Store, tap To install at the bottom of the screen and then enter your Apple ID password at the command prompt.
- If the WhatsApp application is automatically downloaded, skip this step.
Step 7. Wait for the download to complete
The download should only take a few seconds over Wi-Fi or with an LTE connection. Once you have downloaded WhatsApp, all you have to do is configure it.
- If you want to open WhatsApp to start setting it up right away, tap TO OPEN to the right of the "WhatsApp Messenger" heading.
Method 2 of 3: Download WhatsApp on Android
Step 1. Open the
Google Play Store.
Tap the Google Play Store app icon that looks like a multicolored triangle.
Step 2. Tap the search bar
The search bar is at the top of the screen. Tap on it to open your Android keyboard.
Step 3. Type whatsapp
You will see a drop-down menu with the corresponding search results.
Step 4. Select WhatsApp Messenger
This option is to the right of the white and green WhatsApp icon at the top of the search results. Tap it to display the application page.
Step 5. Tap INSTALL
It's the green button on the right side of the screen.
Step 6. Choose ACCEPT
The WhatsApp application will be downloaded to your Android.
Step 7. Wait for the download to complete
Downloading WhatsApp should only take a few seconds with a Wi-Fi or LTE connection. At the end of the process, you can immediately configure the application.
- If you want to open WhatsApp to start setup right after downloading, tap TO OPEN on the right of the screen.
Method 3 of 3: Download WhatsApp on Desktop
Step 1. Log in to the WhatsApp download page
In the web browser of your choice, open this page.
- In order to be able to use WhatsApp on your desktop computer, you must have the app installed and logged in on your phone.
- WhatsApp will automatically determine whether you are using a Windows computer or a Mac.
Step 2. Click on the DOWNLOAD button
It's the green button on the right of the page. Click on it to download the WhatsApp installation file to your computer.
This button also indicates your computer's operating system
Step 3. Wait for the installation file to download
The process will take a few minutes, but once you've downloaded the EXE (if you're using a Windows computer) or DMG (if you're using a Mac) file, you can proceed to the next step.
Step 4. Install WhatsApp
The installation process varies depending on the operating system.
- If you are using a Windows computer: double click on the file WhatsAppSetup then authorize the installation. WhatsApp will open automatically.
- If you are using a Mac: Double click on the DMG file and then drag the WhatsApp icon to the Applications folder.
Step 5. Log in to WhatsApp
Once you have installed WhatsApp on your computer, you can use the app on your phone to scan the QR code and log into your account.
- WhatsApp is also available in a web version which you can use in any browser, however you must use WhatsApp on your phone to scan a QR code in order to log in.
- Once the WhatsApp application has been downloaded, you will be able to configure it with your mobile phone number and your contact list.