Learn how to open your Hotmail account inbox. Hotmail has been replaced by Microsoft Outlook. To open a Hotmail account, you must therefore go to Outlook. You can access your account using Microsoft Outlook, either from a computer or a mobile phone.
Method 1 of 2: From a computer
Step 1. Go to the Outlook site
Type https://www.hotmail.com/ in your search engine bar. Since Hotmail has merged with Microsoft Outlook, you will be redirected to the Microsoft Outlook login page.
- If your Outlook inbox appears on the screen, you are already logged into your account.
- If the inbox opens on another person's account, log out by clicking on the profile icon at the top right of the screen then select Sign out from the drop-down menu.
Step 2. Click Connect
The button is in the middle of the page.
Step 3. Enter your Hotmail email address
In the "E-mail, phone or Skype" field enter the e-mail address of your Hotmail account.
If you have not signed in to your Hotmail account for 270 consecutive days or more (or within 10 days after creating your account), it will be deleted and you will need to create a new Outlook account
Step 4. Click Next
The button is under the email field.
Step 5. Enter your password
Enter the password for your Hotmail account in the "Password" field.
If you forgot it, you will need to reset your password first before continuing
Step 6. Click Connect
The button is located under the "Password" field. As long as your information is correct, your inbox will appear on your screen.
Method 2 of 2: From a mobile
Step 1. Open Outlook
Tap the Outlook app icon, which looks like an "O" on a blue background, to start it.
- If Outlook opens to your inbox, you are already logged into your account.
- If Outlook opens to an account that is not yours, tap ☰ in the top left corner of your screen, then on the gear icon at the bottom of the menu then tap on the currently logged in email address, choose Delete account and finally To delete when you are asked to confirm the deletion of the account from the Outlook application.
Step 2. Tap Start, which is in the middle of the screen
If Outlook opens with a field to enter your email address, skip this step
Step 3. Enter your email address
Enter the email address you use for your Hotmail account.
If you haven't signed into your Hotmail account for 270 days or more (or within 10 days of creating your account), it will be deleted and you will need to create a new account
Step 4. Choose Add Account
The button is located below the text box.
- From an Android phone, select CONTINUE at the bottom right of the screen.
Step 5. Enter your password
Enter the password you use to log into your Hotmail account.
Step 6. Tap Sign In, below the password field
You will then be logged into your account.
Step 7. Choose Later when the message appears
This will skip the “Add an account” form.
- From an Android phone, you will need to press Ignore at the bottom left of the screen.
Step 8. Select Skip to skip the feature overview
Your inbox will then open.