Gmail is Google's email tool and you can use it to send email from a computer. You can also use the mobile app to send your emails from a phone or tablet.
Method 1 of 2: On a desktop computer
Step 1. Go to Gmail
Open this page in your computer's web browser. Your inbox will appear if you are logged into your account.
If you are not signed in to your Gmail account, enter your email address and password at the command prompt
Step 2. Click ＋ New Message
This button is located at the top left of the Gmail inbox. Click on it to open a new message window in the lower right corner of the page.
- If you are using the older version of Gmail, click the red button New message.
Step 3. Enter the other person's email address
Click on the field TO Where Recipients at the top of the New message window, then type the email address of the person to whom you want to send your message.
- To add multiple email addresses, type the first address first, press Tab ↹ then type the following addresses.
- You can send your email as a copy or as a blind copy to other recipients by clicking on CC Or on Bcc at the far right of the To field then by typing the email addresses in the dedicated fields.
Step 4. Add an object
Click on the Subject text field then type the subject of your email.
The subject line of an email describes its content in a few words
Step 5. Enter your email
In the large text field under Subject, type the message you want to send by email.
Step 6. Edit the layout if necessary
You can change the layout of your text (for example by adding bold, italics or bullets) by highlighting the words you want to change and then clicking one of the formatting options at the bottom of the window. 'E-mail.
- For example, to bold a section of text, all you need to do is highlight the text and then click B at the bottom of the email.
Step 7. Add an attachment
To add an attachment to your email from your computer, click on the icon
at the bottom of the window, select the files you want to add then click on To open (Or on To choose if you are using a Mac).
- You can add photos in the same way or upload photos directly to the body of the email by clicking on the photos icon
at the bottom of the window, by selecting Insert, clicking on Pictures then choosing the photos to add.
Step 8. Click Submit
It's the blue button at the bottom left of the email window. Click on it to send your email to the specified address.
Method 2 of 2: On a mobile device
Step 1. Open Gmail
Tap the Gmail app icon that looks like a red "M" on a white background. If you're signed in, this will open your Gmail inbox.
If you are not logged in, first select your account or enter your email address followed by your password to log in
Step 2. Tap the new message icon
You will find it in the lower right corner of the screen. Tap it to open a new message window.
Step 3. Enter an email address
Tap the To text box, then type the email address of the person you want to send an email to.
- If you want to send the message to someone as a copy or blind copy, press
at the far right of the To text field, press either CC, be sure Bcc, then type the email address of the other recipient.
Step 4. Type the subject of your email
Tap the Subject field, then enter the subject you want to use.
Generally speaking, the subject summarizes the email in a few words
Step 5. Write your message
Tap the text field Write your message then type the message you want to send.
Step 6. Add files if necessary
You can add a file or a photo to your email by doing the following:
- Press on
at the top of the screen;
- select Film (on iPhone) or Attach a file (on Android);
- choose a photo or file.
Step 7. Press the send icon
It's the paper airplane icon at the top right of the screen. Tap on it to send your email.
- Make sure your email doesn't contain anything compromising. Never give your address, phone number, etc. in an email unless the message is intended for a close friend or family member.
- If you want to save your email as a draft in the desktop version, wait until "Saved" appears next to the trash can icon in the lower right corner of the window. Then click on X top right. Your email will be saved in the Trash folder on the left of the inbox.
- Blind Copy Emails (BCC) will not display the email addresses of other recipients if one of them tries to see all of the destination addresses.