Sugar can be used as a delicious sweetener, as well as a mild alternative to harsh, expensive, and chemical-based scrubs. If honey is a natural sweetener, it can be used as a moisturizer, to achieve healthy and repaired skin. Preparing a scrub with sugar and honey is an ideal and inexpensive homemade solution to meet the needs of your skin. Use these two ingredients to give yourself a sweet face!
Part 1 of 3: make a scrub with sugar and honey
Step 1. Use pure honey
Make sure to use pure honey that has not been processed and is not pasteurized. You will find pure honey in health food stores, at the market and on the Internet. By using pure honey and not honey from the supermarket bottle, you can be sure that the product is natural and toxin-free. You will thus benefit from all these medicinal properties.
- Before applying honey to your skin, make sure you are not allergic to it. To do this, take an allergy test with your doctor.
- You could also apply the honey to a small area of your skin and check for an allergic reaction. Place a small amount of honey on your hand or any part of your body that you can cover, then wait an hour. If you do not notice an allergic reaction, such as itching, redness or swelling, you can use the sugar and honey scrub.
Step 2. Pour 1 ½ tablespoon of honey into a small bowl or plate
If you want to use the mask on your neck as well, use more honey.
Step 3. Add 1 ½ tablespoon of ultra fine white sugar
Make sure the sugar is not too thick.
You could also use brown sugar. The crystals of fine sugar and brown sugar are sweeter than those of classic table sugar
Step 4. Add 3-5 drops of fresh lemon juice
This step is optional. Be sure to use a fresh lemon, as lemons that are too old contain ascorbic acid which can cause more harm than good.
Step 5. Test the consistency of the mixture with your fingers
The mixture should be thick enough that it falls off your fingers very slowly. If it slides off quickly, it will slide off your face as well. If the mixture is too runny, add more sugar. If the mixture is too thick, add more honey.
Part 2 of 3: apply the sugar honey scrub
Step 1. Wet your fingers and apply the scrub to your face and neck
Gently massage your face in circles for 45 seconds. Leave the scrub on your face for at least 5 minutes.
- For a mask, leave the scrub on for 10 minutes.
- Gently massage the product onto your lips to exfoliate dry, chapped lips.
Step 2. Rinse off with lukewarm water
Make sure you don't leave any traces of honey and sugar on your face. If you don't rinse well, your face may be sticky.
Your face will be slightly red after this treatment, but the redness will fade quickly
Step 3. Dry your face by dabbing it with a towel
Never rub your face with a towel, as this may damage your skin and cause irritation. Take the towel and gently dab your face to dry it.
Step 4. Moisturize your skin
Use a moisturizer containing a sun filter, to protect yourself from the harmful effects of the sun.
If you have exfoliated your lips, apply lip balm as well
Step 5. Repeat the process at least once a week
If you have sensitive or dry skin, use the Sugar Honey Scrub to exfoliate the dead skin on your face 1-2 times a week. If you have combination or oily skin, you can use this scrub 2-3 times a week.
Part 3 of 3: make different scrubs with sugar and honey
Step 1. If you have oily skin, use egg whites
Egg whites have been proven to help remove dead skin and improve the texture of oily skin. For a tightening effect on your skin, add egg whites to your honey and sugar scrub. Add an egg white for 1 ½ tablespoon of honey.
Know the risks of egg whites. By using raw egg white in your scrub, you will put yourself at risk for salmonella. Be careful and do not apply the mixture near your mouth, so as not to risk swallowing egg white
Step 2. Prepare a honey acne mask
If you suffer from acne, you could try applying pure honey as a mask on your skin. Dry, oily and sensitive skin will all benefit from the benefits of a honey mask.
Spread the pure honey all over your face with your clean fingers. Leave the honey mask on your face for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, rinse off the mask with lukewarm water and dab your face with a dry towel
Step 3. Prepare a honey and oatmeal scrub
Oatmeal is packed with natural cleansing actives and is very effective in removing impurities and oils from the skin. A mixture of oatmeal, honey and lemon will help your skin stay clear and hydrated.
- Combine ¾ cup of oatmeal (crushed whole oatmeal), ¼ cup of honey and ¼ cup of lemon juice. Combine all the ingredients in a container and pour in ¼ cup of water as you mix. If you want to refine the oatmeal, you could pass it through a coffee grinder.
- With your clean fingers, apply the scrub to your face and massage gently in circular motions. After a minute, rinse off the scrub with lukewarm water. Dab your face with a towel to dry it.