Who doesn't dream of soft, full lips? What could be more attractive than a beautiful pout? Unfortunately, most people think that the only way to achieve this is through medicine or cosmetic surgery. However, these procedures are expensive and risky and the end result is not always what you expect. Cinnamon is then a cheap and natural option. You can use it to make lip care products that will hydrate, exfoliate and plump your mouth!
Method 1 of 2: plump your lips with ground cinnamon
Step 1. Clean up
Wash your entire face and rub your hands well, since you will be using your fingers in the process. If you are wearing lipstick or gloss, remove it before continuing. Your lips should be perfectly clean. Take a wet washcloth and gently run it over your lips, making a few back-and-forth movements. This will be enough to remove the dead skin cells.
Step 2. Apply lubricant
You can use petroleum jelly, aquaphor, or your favorite lip balm. Apply a thin layer to your lips, making sure to completely cover their surface. Do not go beyond the contour of your mouth when applying the product. This step will prevent you from over-exfoliating your lips, while still moisturizing them before applying the ground cinnamon.
Step 3. Prepare the mixture
In a clean container, mix ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon with a dab of petroleum jelly until a paste forms. Take a little of the mixture on a clean finger. You can also use a soft-bristled toothbrush, if you prefer.
- You can use cinnamon sticks, if that's all you have. You will need to overwrite them first, however. It will not be necessary to powder the sticks: the consistency of coarse salt or table salt will do.
- For a more intense exfoliation, you can also add salt to the preparation. In a clean bowl, mix ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon with ½ teaspoon of salt. Then add a tablespoon of petroleum jelly and mix everything well. Continue with the remaining steps of this method, there will be no further difference in the process.
Step 4. Apply the mixture
With a finger or the soft toothbrush, cover the entire surface of your lips with the preparation. Once your lips are covered with it, gently press your finger (or toothbrush) against your lips and rub gently, in small circular motions. Exfoliate your upper and lower lips in this way for 30 to 40 seconds.
- You will feel some tingling, which is normal. Cinnamon will irritate the skin on your lips slightly, causing them to redden and swell slightly.
- Be careful not to swallow the cinnamon, as it may irritate your throat.
Step 5. Let the preparation act
You will need to let the preparation sit on your lips for about 3 to 5 minutes. After this time has elapsed, wipe off the mixture with a damp washcloth. You will notice that your lips are now pink, fresh and plump.
Do not leave the ground cinnamon mixture on your lips longer than a few minutes. The plumping effect will occur within this period of time. By letting the preparation act for more than a few minutes, you will not obtain fuller lips and risk swallowing the product or irritating your mouth
Step 6. Apply lip balm
You can use colorless or tinted lip balm, if you prefer. Vaseline and aquaphor will also be very effective. Be careful not to skip this step: your freshly plumped lips need to be hydrated after the treatment and well hydrated lips always look better!
Method 2 of 2: Use cinnamon leaf essential oil
Step 1. Wash your face and hands
Take the time to wash your face and hands thoroughly, since you will be using your fingers during the process. If you are wearing lipstick or gloss, remove it before continuing. You should start the treatment on perfectly clean lips. Gently rub a damp washcloth over your lips, making a few back-and-forth strokes. This will be enough to remove the dead skin cells.
Step 2. Prepare the mixture
Pour a tablespoon of petroleum jelly into a small container. Add 2 drops of cinnamon leaf essential oil (if you are not familiar with essential oils, you can buy them in the supermarket, in the health and wellness department). Make sure to use cinnamon leaf oil and not cinnamon bark oil. Mix everything together with a toothpick.
- Cinnamon essential oil is a natural product that generally has no side effects on the skin. However, if you have very sensitive skin or are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is advisable to consult a doctor before using this treatment.
- Cinnamon oil, when applied to the lips, can also combat anxiety that results from travel nausea when traveling. And little more: it refreshes the breath!
Step 3. Apply the preparation
Rub it gently on your lips, for 2 or 3 minutes, then let it sit on your lips. You will feel a tingling sensation, which is quite normal. Cinnamon slightly irritates the skin of the lips, causing them to redden and swell slightly, which produces that tingling sensation.
If you feel a burning sensation or pain and not just tingling, rinse your lips thoroughly and repeat the operation, preparing the mixture with a drop of cinnamon leaf oil, instead of 2
Step 4. Use the mixture as a gloss
After leaving the preparation on your lips for a few more minutes, you will notice that your lips slowly begin to swell and redden, leaving your mouth looking beautiful and natural. This effect will last for several hours. Once the effect wears off, you can reapply the preparation, just using it as a gloss.
- If you have sensitive skin, use the minimum dose of cinnamon.
- To prevent chapped lips, apply a high quality lip balm every night.