You can connect your computer to your TV for better sound or just to listen to your media files. All you need are audio cables or Bluetooth adapters.
Method 1 of 2: Use audio cables or adapters
Step 1. Locate the audio output on your computer
Most desktops and laptops use a 3.5mm minijack plug compatible with standard headphones and headsets as the audio output.
An HDMI port can also act as an audio output
Step 2. Find an audio input on your television
The most popular audio input port will be the red and white (composite) RCA plugs for an A / V connection. The other audio inputs that you can find are:
- the 3.5 mm minijack;
- optical digital audio;
- S / PDIF digital audio.
Step 3. Purchase the correct combination of adapters or cables
Depending on your computer's output port and your television's input port, you will need:
- from a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable;
- a 3.5mm cable to an RCA input;
- a 3.5mm adapter to an RCA output and an RCA cable;
- a 3.5mm adapter to an optical digital output and an optical digital audio cable;
- a 3.5mm S / PDIF adapter and an S / PDIF cable;
- an HDMI adapter or extractor to an optical digital output and an optical digital audio cable;
- an HDMI adapter or extractor to a digital S / PDIF output and an S / PDIF audio cable.
Step 4. Connect the adapter or cable to your computer
If you are using an adapter and cable combination, connect the correct end of the cable to the adapter. If you are using an RCA cable, make sure the red and white connectors are inserted into the same colored ports
Step 5. Connect the end of the adapter or cable to the television
- If you are using an RCA cable, make sure the red and white connectors are inserted into the corresponding colored ports.
- Note the port number shown on the television.
Step 6. Turn on the television and your computer
If you haven't turned on your computer and television yet, do so now.
Step 7. Press the input selector on the television
This is the button on the remote control or on the television marked "Input" or "Source".
Step 8. Select the A / V port where your computer is connected
You should see a white screen, but hear the sounds generated by your computer through your television speakers.
If you can't hear any sound: First make sure that the volume is correct and that the sound is not muted on the television and your computer. Next, check the audio output or audio settings to make sure the output is set to the jack port
Method 2 of 2: Use Bluetooth or Bluetooth adapters
Step 1. Turn on the television and your computer
Step 2. Activate Bluetooth on your computer (if equipped)
- On Windows, click To start up, then on Settings, Peripheral devices, then Bluetooth and other devices. Then turn on Bluetooth.
- On Mac, click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences, then Bluetooth. Activate Bluetooth and leave the Bluetooth dialog box open.
Step 3. Enable visibility on your television or audio adapter
To do this, follow the instructions supplied with your device.
Bluetooth audio adapters are Bluetooth receivers that plug into an audio input on your television and translate signals from Bluetooth transmitters, such as a computer, into signals compatible with your television
Step 4. Connect your computer and TV via Bluetooth
- On Windows, click on the action center, choose Connect and select the device. Follow all on-screen instructions, for example entering a pairing code.
- On Mac, click Pair next to the device in the Bluetooth dialog box. Follow all on-screen instructions, for example entering a pairing code.
Step 5. Locate and press the input selector on the television
You will find this button on the remote control or on the television. It is usually marked "Entry" or "Source".
Step 6. Select Bluetooth or the A / V port where the adapter is plugged into
You will see a white screen, but sound from your computer should come out through your television speakers.