For business purposes or if you spend too much time on Facebook, you can temporarily deactivate your account. You just need to log in to reactivate it. Deactivating and permanently deleting a Facebook account are 2 different processes.
Method 1 of 2: Deactivate a Facebook account on mobile
Step 1. Open Facebook
The Facebook app icon is a white "f" on a dark blue background. If you're signed in to your account, you should see your news feed onscreen.
- If you are not yet logged in to Facebook, enter your email address and password, then press Log in. You should see your news feed.
Step 2. Press ☰
This button is located at the bottom right (on iPhone) or at the top right of the screen (on Android).
Step 3. Scroll down to the Settings option
If you are using an Android, skip this step.
Step 4. Tap Account Settings
This option is at the top of the pop-up menu that appears (on iPhone) or at the bottom of the menu ☰ (on Android).
Step 5. Select General
You will find this tab at the top of the screen.
Step 6. Tap Account Management
This option is at the bottom of the page.
Step 7. Select Disable
This link can be found to the right of the "Account" header.
Step 8. Enter your password
Then tap Continue to open the opt-out page.
Step 9. Indicate your reason for deactivating your account
If you choose Other, you will have to justify your decision.
- If you want to automatically reactivate your account after a few days, select It is temporary. I'll be back then, indicate the time after which you want your account reactivated.
Step 10. Press Close
If Facebook considers that it can solve your problem, it will send you a message with an alternate option. Press on To close to delete the message.
Step 11. Turn off email notifications
Tap the boxes next to Stop receiving messages from Facebook and Keep me signed in to Messenger.
Step 12. Select Disable
This button is at the bottom of the page and allows you to immediately deactivate your account.
- You may need to re-enter your password.
- Your account can be reactivated by logging in with your email address and password.
Method 2 of 2: Disable Facebook account on Mac and PC
Step 1. Open the Facebook website
Open this page in your browser. You will see your news feed if you are already signed in to Facebook.
- If you are not yet signed in, enter your email address (or mobile number) at the top right of the screen. Click on Log in to connect you.
Step 2. Select ▼
This icon is located at the top right of the page and next to the icon ?
Click on it to pull down a menu.
Step 3. Click Settings
This option is at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
Step 4. Select the General tab
This option is at the top left of the page.
Step 5. Click Account Management
You will find this option at the bottom of the page.
Step 6. Select Disable
This option is above the button To close.
Step 7. Type your password
In the text field in the middle of the page, type your Facebook password.
Step 8. Click Continue
If your password is correct, you will be redirected to the deactivation page.
Step 9. Justify your decision
In the section Reason for leaving, select one of the options offered at the bottom of the page.
- If you want to automatically reactivate your account after a few days, select It is temporary. I'll be back then specify a deactivation time.
Step 10. Click Close
Depending on the reason for leaving selected, Facebook may recommend that you log out or add friends rather than deactivate your account.
Step 11. Review the available options
The options below can be selected or deselected.
- Stop emails: If you select this option, you will no longer receive emails from Facebook.
- Messenger: This option also disables Facebook Messenger. If you don't select it, people will still be able to see and message you on Messenger.
- Remove applications: If you are a Facebook developer, you will see a list of the apps you have created. Select this option to remove them from your profile.
Step 12. Click Deactivate
It's the blue button at the bottom of the page.
You may have to reenter your password
Step 13. Select Deactivate Now
This option allows you to deactivate your Facebook account. To reactivate it, go to the login page, type your e-mail address and your password then click on Log in.
When you deactivate your account, all the information it contains is saved in case you ever want to come back to Facebook
- Only deactivate your account when necessary. If you turn it off and back on too often, you won't be able to turn it back on after a while.
- Deleting the account is the only way to permanently delete sensitive information from Facebook's servers.