If you've sent a friend request by mistake or received an unwanted one, you can delete them from the Facebook site or the phone app.
Method 1 of 2: Use the Facebook site
Step 1. Go to
Use the link or type the address into a browser and press Enter.
If you are not automatically signed in, sign in
Step 2. Open the friends section
Click on the icon which represents two human silhouettes and which is located in the upper right part of the window.
Step 3. Delete an incoming request
Click Delete Request next to the friend request sent to you.
Step 4. Cancel an outgoing request
There are several steps to follow to get there.
- Click in the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Type the name of the person to whom you sent a friend request.
- Click on their profile.
- Click on Request sent. The button is located to the right of the person's name at the top of their profile page.
- Click on Cancel the request, then click again Cancel the request to confirm.
Method 2 of 2: Use the phone app
Step 1. Launch the Facebook application
It's a blue icon with an "F" in the middle.
If you are not automatically signed in, sign in to the app
Step 2. Press ☰
The button is located at the bottom right if you are on iPhone or at the top right if you are on Android.
- On iPad, tap Requests at the bottom of the screen. It is an icon that represents two human figures.
Step 3. Tap Friends
It is an icon that represents two human figures.
Step 4. Click Request
The button is located at the top of the screen.
Step 5. Tap Remove
If you want to delete a request that you have received.
Step 6. Cancel a sent request
Click Cancel to cancel a request you sent.
- On iPhone or iPad, if you don't see the option to cancel in the screen of Requests, type the name of the person to whom you sent the request in the search bar. Then, click on their profile and press to cancel right at the top of their profile page.