Wondering how to delete recent searches list in Facebook Messenger? The only way to do this is to force logout, either on the mobile app or on the website.
Method 1 of 2: Delete recent searches on mobile
Step 1. Open the Facebook app
To log into Facebook, tap the icon that looks like a white "f" on a blue background. If you're already signed in, the app will open on your news feed.
If you are not yet logged in, first enter your email address (or phone number) and then your password
Step 2. Press ☰
This button is located at the bottom right (if you are using an iPhone) or at the top of the screen (if you are using an Android). Tap on it to open a menu.
Step 3. Scroll down to the Settings option
This option is at the bottom of the menu.
If you are using an Android, skip this step
Step 4. Select Account Settings
The option Account settings can be found in the context menu. Press it to display the settings menu.
For Android users, scroll down to this option
Step 5. Tap Security & Sign In
The option Security and connection is at the top of the screen.
Step 6. Find the Where you are logged in section
This section is in the middle of the page, but on some devices you'll have to scroll down to find it.
Step 7. Find your Messenger session
In the section Where you are logged in, search for the phone (or tablet) on which you were logged into Messenger, then search for the word “Messenger” under the device name. If you can't find the phone or tablet in question, tap See more to view more old sessions.
- If you are using an Android, you will need to press See more to disconnect from a session.
- If you see the word "Facebook" under the name of the phone or tablet, it is a Facebook session, not Messenger.
Step 8. Press ⋮
This button is located on the right of the page, immediately next to the Messenger session on phone or tablet. It opens a new menu.
Step 9. Select Log Out
This will immediately log you out of the Messenger app on the phone or tablet in question.
Step 10. Log back into Messenger
Tap the Messenger app icon on your iPhone, Android, or tablet, then sign in using your Facebook email address (or phone number) and password. Once you are reconnected, open the section Recent research by pressing the search bar at the top of the screen. Your previous research should be gone.
- Messenger may take a few seconds to mark your account as disconnected.
- When reconnecting, you will be prompted to re-sync your contacts with the app.
- If for some reason the section Recent research continues to show your searches after reconnecting, try uninstalling the Messenger app and then reinstalling it.
Method 2 of 2: Delete recent searches on a desktop
Step 1. Log in to Facebook
In your web browser, open Facebook to view your news feed if you're already signed in.
- If you are not yet logged in, enter your email address and password before clicking Log in at the top right of the page.
Step 2. Display the options menu
Click on the triangle icon
at the top right of the Facebook page to open a drop-down menu.
Step 3. Click Settings
The option Settings is at the bottom of the drop-down menu and opens the settings page.
Step 4. Go to the Security and Login tab
Security and connection can be found at the top left of the settings page.
Step 5. Find the Where you are logged in section
You'll find this section in the middle of the page, but in some cases you'll have to scroll down to find it.
Step 6. Find your Messenger session
In the section Where you are logged in, search for the device (phone or tablet) on which you were logged in, then search for the word “Messenger” under the name of the device in question. If you can't find your device right away, click See more to view other sessions.
If you see "Facebook" instead of "Messenger" under the device name, it means that the session relates to the Facebook application and not to the Messenger application
Step 7. Click ⋮
This button is on the right side of the page, next to the Messenger session on the device in use. Click on it to open a menu.
Step 8. Select Logout
The logout option is in the menu that just opened. Click on it to immediately log out of the Messenger app on the selected device.
Step 9. Log back into Messenger
On your iPhone, Android or tablet, open the Messenger application then reconnect with the email address (or phone number) and password of your Facebook account. Once you log back in, tap the search bar at the top of the screen to display the section Recent research. If the deletion was successful, it should be empty.
- You may have to wait a few seconds for your account to be logged out of Messenger.
- You may also need to sync your contacts with the app again.
- If for some reason the section Recent research is not blank after reconnecting, uninstall the Messenger app and then reinstall it.
- The menu Where you are logged in can be used to make sure your Facebook account is not signed in on a computer, phone or tablet that you don't want to be signed in to.