For privacy or business reasons, you can delete your Facebook account. If you want, you can first save a copy of your data like your photos or contacts and once done you can start the deletion process.
Part 1 of 3: Prepare for your departure
Step 1. Notify your friends
Share a post to tell your friends that you are going to delete your Facebook account. This will give them time to take your contact details if they think they need it.
- If you want people to be able to contact you outside of Facebook, include your contact details in the post.
- Skip this step if you'd rather quit Facebook without being noticed.
Step 2. Ask yourself if you want to keep Messenger or not
Facebook Messenger is a separate app that you can use even without your Facebook account. If you choose to no longer use it, follow these steps after deleting your account:
- open Facebook Messenger
- press the profile icon at the top left of the screen
- scroll down to Confidentiality and conditions
- select Disable Messenger
- type your password then press To continue
- select Deactivate when you are prompted
- delete the Messenger app from your iPhone or Android
Step 3. Change the login information for services that use Facebook
Apps like Spotify or Uber let you sign in with your Facebook account rather than an email address. If you did, change your sign-in method to an email address or phone number.
On most of these services, it is also possible to connect with a phone number. If you've saved your number to one of them, deleting your Facebook account shouldn't be a big deal
Step 4. Delete your posts
Deleting your Facebook account will delete all of your online information, but you shouldn't forget about other sensitive or personal posts that Google or other search engines might save.
Archived posts will continue to display even if you deactivate your account. They will only disappear from search engines after a few weeks
Step 5. Remove the Facebook app from your devices
You can delete the Facebook application from your phone or tablet since it does not allow you to perform the following 2 steps.
You can delete the app from your iPhone or Android
Part 2 of 3: Upload your data to Facebook
Step 1. Open the Facebook site
Go to Facebook. If you're already signed in, you'll see your news feed.
- Enter your email address (or phone number) and password if you are not yet logged in. Then click on Log in.
Step 2. Click
This button is on the far right of the blue bar at the top of the Facebook window.
Step 3. Select Settings
This option is at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
Step 4. Click General
This is the tab at the top left of the page.
Step 5. Select the Download a copy link
It is at the bottom of the page General.
Step 6. Click Create My Archive
This green button is in the middle of the page.
Step 7. Enter your password at the command prompt
This is the password you use to log into Facebook.
Step 8. Click Submit
This blue button is located at the bottom of the window dedicated to the password.
Step 9. Select Create My Archive
It's the blue button in the pop-up window. It allows you to collect your data.
Step 10. Click OK
Step 11. Go to your email account
Open the inbox of the email address you use to log into Facebook.
Enter your address and password first if you are not yet logged into your email account
Step 12. Open the Your file is ready message
The sender is "Facebook".
- Wait a bit if you don't see anything in your account. It may take a few minutes to receive the email.
- You may need to open a specific tab in your inbox (for example, Gmail users will need to select the Social networks).
Step 13. Click on the download link
Select the link at the bottom of the email that is just above the text “This message has been sent to [email address]”.
Step 14. Select Download Archive
It's the green button at the top of the page.
Step 15. Enter your password at the command prompt
Then, click Submit to download your Facebook data to your computer.
This file contains several pieces of information, such as your contact details and photos
Part 3 of 3: Delete your Facebook account
Step 1. Open the Facebook removal page
Go to this page from a web browser (deletion is not possible on the mobile application).
- Type your email address in the "Email address" field and your password in the "Password" field then click on Log in.
Step 2. Click Remove My Account
This option is found below the warning message in the middle of the page. Click on it to open a pop-up window.
Step 3. Enter your password
Type your password in the "Password" field at the top of the window.
Step 4. Type the captcha code
It's the tangle of letters and numbers in the middle of the window. Type what you see in the field below the code.
- Click on Enter other words Or on captcha audio if you are unable to read the code. A new code should appear.
Step 5. Click OK
Your code will be sent and a new window will appear if it is correct.
You will be asked to try again if your password or captcha code is incorrect
Step 6. Select OK to delete your account
This button is at the bottom of the pop-up window. Click on it to deactivate your account for 14 days. It will be permanently deleted after this period.
- Once your removal request has been sent to Facebook, you will have 14 days to change your mind. If you decide to keep your account, simply log back in using your email address (or phone number) and password click to cancel at the command prompt.