Are you in love or single and want to shout it from the rooftops? There is nothing more efficient than Facebook these days. You can quickly change your dating situation either on the mobile app or on the Facebook website.
Method 1 of 2: Use the Facebook app
Step 1. Open your profile in the Facebook app
Open the Facebook app on your device and go to your profile. The process is slightly different whether you are on Android or iOS.
- On Android: press the menu button (☰) at the top right then select your name at the top of the screen.
- On iOS: press the menu button (☰) at the bottom right before selecting your name at the top of the screen.
Step 2. Tap Refresh Info
If you don't see this button, press In regards to.
Step 3. Scroll down to your dating situation
On Android, this option is at the bottom of the first section of the "About" screen. On iOS, you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it.
Step 4. Change your dating situation
Press the V-shaped button and select Add a romantic relationship Where To modify depending on the version of Facebook used.
Step 5. Select your dating situation
Tap on your dating situation to change it. You can choose to be “Single”, “As a couple”, “Fiancé (e)”, “Married”, “In civil union”, “In common-law”, “In cohabitation” or something else.
To display no romantic situation on your profile, select “None”
Step 6. Enter the name of the person with whom you are in a relationship
If she uses Facebook, her name will appear as a clickable option below the text field.
Step 7. Enter the anniversary date of your relationship
If you want to display the anniversary date of your relationship, click on the drop-down menu that allows you to select a year. Then choose the month and then the day. This step is optional.
Step 8. Change your privacy settings
You can choose who can see your dating situation by tapping on the privacy menu at the bottom left. By default, these are your friends, but you can choose “Public”, “Me only” (hidden) or “Custom” and you can choose from your friends lists. Press on More options to see all the possibilities.
Step 9. Save your changes
Once you have filled in your information, press the button Save. If you have changed your dating situation with another Facebook user, they will receive a message asking them to confirm their relationship with you. When this is done, your romantic situation will appear on your profile.
- If the person is already in a relationship with someone else, Facebook won't let you save your change.
- Facebook does not allow any user to connect with more than one person.
Method 2 of 2: Use the Facebook website
Step 1. Open your profile page
Log in to the Facebook website. Click on your name at the top left of the home page after signing in. Select Update my info to edit your profile.
Step 2. Click Family and Relationships
This button is located in the left sidebar and redirects to the relationships section.
Step 3. Select your dating situation
If you have not yet defined a love situation, first click on Add your love situation. You can choose "Single", "As a couple", "Married", "Fiancé (e)", "In a civil union", "In a common-law", "In cohabitation" and many others.
- To not display your romantic situation on your profile, select "---".
- Note that the change in love situation is a "silent" action. The person you're breaking up with won't receive any notifications. People who view your log will see the change.
Step 4. Enter the name of the person you are in a relationship with
If she's on Facebook, her name will appear as a clickable option below the text field.
Step 5. Fill in the anniversary date of your relationship
If you want to display the anniversary date of your relationship, use the drop-down menus. You do not have to fill in this information.
Step 6. Adjust your privacy settings
Click the privacy icon at the bottom left to choose who can view your dating situation. By default, only your friends have access to this information. You can choose between "Public", "Me only" (hidden) or "Custom". You can also choose from your friends lists.
Step 7. Click Save to save your changes
The person you selected will receive a message and will need to confirm their relationship with you. It is only after that that your romantic situation will appear on your profile.
- You have to be friends with the person on Facebook to be able to form any relationship with them.
- If the person is already in a relationship, you will not be able to make this change.
- Facebook does not allow relationships with multiple people.
- If the person affected by your change in love situation does not receive or find a link by email, tell them to check their notifications.
- Facebook offers several types of romantic situations, most of which are suitable for LGBT people (they can vary from region to region):
- In a relationship with
- In cohabitation
- Civil union
- It is complicated
- Widower widow
- Before you announce a big change in your relationship on Facebook, talk to the people who matter most to you. Your parents as well as your siblings will probably not be happy to hear this news on social media rather than from you.
- Discuss your decision with the person concerned before updating your Facebook profile. Make sure you are both on the same page.