Did you know that it is possible to make video calls on Instagram from a PC or a Mac? Since the Instagram browser version is limited and you will not be able to access your messages, you will need to use the Instagram app with an Android emulator called BlueStacks, in order to be able to use it from your computer. To make a video call, you will have to go through the application.
BlueStacks is a highly recommended downloadable Android emulator that works on both PC and Mac. It will allow you to use Instagram on your computer, just like using it from your phone. To make video calls, you will need a microphone and a webcam.
Step 1. Go to BlueStacks from a browser
Firefox and Chrome are two popular browser examples.
Step 2. Click the Download BlueStacks button
The browser will automatically detect whether you are using Mac or Windows and download the correct version. A popup window will appear for you to choose the download location.
Step 3. Click Save
The installer will save the location chosen in the previous step, which will likely be the downloads folder.
Step 4. Click on BlueStacks Installer to start the installation
- Click Allow Changes, if necessary. You will be redirected to the installer.
- Read and agree to the terms before proceeding.
- You can customize your installation by clicking on the blue link Customize the installation.
Step 5. Click Install now
You will see a progress bar as the download progresses.
After downloading the app, you will see a progress bar allowing you to follow the installation
Step 6. Open BlueStacks
You will find it in the start menu or in the Applications folder.
- The first time you launch BlueStacks, it will take some time.
- The app will ask you to sign in to a Google account or create a new one.
- You will see a list of installed apps that you can use with BlueStacks.
Step 7. Click in the search bar
You will find it in the upper right corner of the window. A list of the most wanted games will unfold.
Step 8. Type Instagram and click Enter Where Return.
This will open a new tab called app center, in the app results window.
Step 9. Select Instagram by Instagram
A Google Play Store window will open on Instagram's information page.
You will need a Google account to download Android apps
Step 10. Click the Install button
Step 11. Click the Open button
The Instagram app will open in BlueStacks. The window could shrink to the size of a phone screen.
Step 12. Click Connect Where Create a new account.
You can log in with your Facebook account or with your Instagram username and password
Step 13. Click on the little plane to create a new discussion
You will find this icon in the upper right corner of the screen. This will take you to your private messages page.
Step 14. Click in the search bar
A keyboard will appear and you will be able to see a list of contacts below.
You can also click on the paper and the pencil to start a new discussion
Step 15. Type the name of the person you want to talk to
As you type, the contacts below the search bar will change. You can click on one of these contacts or finish typing the person's name, then press Enter or Return.
- You can add up to 6 people in the chat.
- You will see a private chat page open, with that person or group.
Step 16. Click on the camera icon
You'll find it at the top right of the chat window.
- For this icon to appear, you will need to have opened the private chat window with the person you want to call.
- You will need to allow the app to access the camera and microphone.
- The person you are calling will receive a notification on their screen, letting them know that you are calling them.