If you want to be notified of new content or if you don't want to be disturbed, you can turn Instagram visual and audio notifications on or off. The app can send you notifications whenever you like or comment on your posts, when someone sends you direct messages, or when a Story is available. You can also enable notifications for specific users to receive a notification whenever that user uploads something.
Method 1 of 4: Enable notifications in iPhone settings
Step 1. Open your iPhone settings
Tap the gray icon with cogwheels on it. Usually found on the home screen.
Step 2. Tap Notifications
This option is at the top of the menu. Tap it to open a list of all apps that support notifications.
Step 3. Scroll down to the Instagram option
The apps are listed in alphabetical order, which means Instagram is in the "I" section.
- If Instagram isn't showing in the list, you may need to wait to receive a notification from someone.
- If Instagram still does not appear in the list, even after you receive a notification, uninstall the Instagram app, restart your phone, and then reinstall Instagram. When restarting the application, select Allow notifications and Instagram should appear in the section Notifications of the application Settings.
Step 4. Tap the white switch Allow notifications
This switch is located at the top of the screen. Tap on it to activate
, which means Instagram will send notifications to your iPhone.
- If you want to turn off Instagram notifications completely, tap the green switch Allow notifications then skip the rest of this method.
Step 5. Enable or disable other notifications
Press the white switch to the right of each of the options below to enable them or the green switch to disable them.
- Sound: turn Instagram sounds on or off.
- App Icon Badge: Turns on or off the app icon badge, which are the numbers that appear in the corner of the app icon when you have pending notifications.
- Show on locked screen: Toggles notifications that appear on your iPhone's locked screen on or off.
- In History: Enable or disable notification history for Instagram. Notification history can be viewed by swiping down from the top of the screen.
- As banners: turn on or off the notifications that appear in the action center at the top of the screen when your iPhone is unlocked.
Step 6. Choose an alert type
Under the switch In the form of banners, press either Temporary, be sure Persistent. This option will only appear if the option In the form of banners is activated.
Temporary alerts appear briefly at the top of the iPhone screen before disappearing, while persistent alerts only disappear if you drag them
Step 7. Configure the preview display
This option determines whether or not it is possible to see the contents of an Instagram notification without opening it. Scroll down the screen, press Show previews then select one of the available options.
- Always (Default): You will always see previews of Instagram notifications (for example, “Sandra liked your post”).
- If unlocked: You will see Instagram notification previews when your iPhone is unlocked.
- Deactivate: You will never see Instagram notification previews.
Step 8. Press the back button twice
The back button is at the top left of the screen. You will be redirected to the notifications page and your changes will be saved. Now Instagram will send you notifications.
Method 2 of 4: Enable notifications in Android settings
Step 1. Open your Android settings
Press the white cogwheel icon on a colored background. You will find it in the application drawer.
Step 2. Scroll down to the Apps option
This option is located in the middle of the settings page and displays a list of the applications installed on your Android.
- If you are using a Samsung Galaxy, you will need to press Applications.
Step 3. Select Instagram
You will find Instagram in section "I" of the list of apps.
Step 4. Tap Notifications
This option is in the middle of the page. Tap it to open the Instagram notifications setup page.
Step 5. Enable notifications
Press the gray switch Allow preview
. It will turn blue
to indicate that notifications are now enabled for Instagram.
- If you want to receive Instagram notifications even when you are in mode Do not disturb, also activate the option Priority.
- To turn off notifications, press the blue switch Allow preview then activate the option To block.
Step 6. Press the back button
This button is located at the top left of the screen. Tap it to exit Instagram's notifications menu and save your changes at the same time.
Method 3 of 4: Choose notification types
Step 1. Open Instagram
Tap the Instagram app icon that looks like a multicolored square with a white camera silhouette on it. If you are logged in, this will open your news feed.
If you are not logged in, enter your email address (or phone number or username) followed by your password before continuing
Step 2. Tap your profile icon
This is the figure in the shape of a person at the bottom right of the screen. Tap on it to open your profile page.
If you have more than one Instagram profile logged in at the same time, you will see your profile picture rather than a silhouette icon
Step 3. Open settings
Press the star wheel icon
(on iPhone) or on ⋮ (on Android) at the top right of the screen. The settings page will open.
Step 4. Scroll down to the Push notifications settings option
This option is under the heading Settings in the middle of the page.
- On Android, tap instead Push notifications.
Step 5. Select the settings to activate
You can set actions in the Instagram app (for example someone who likes a post) that will send a notification to your phone.
- Look for a type of notification (eg "Like").
- Tap a notification option (for example From everyone) under one of the headings.
- Select No to completely disable notifications of this type.
- Do the same for each type of notification.
Step 6. Press the back button
This button is located at the top left of the screen. Tap it to close the notifications page and save your settings. Now you will receive notifications for everything you have activated in the Instagram app.
Method 4 of 4: Enable post notifications
Step 1. Open Instagram
To open Instagram, tap the multicolored icon with a white camera silhouette on it. If you are logged in, this will open your Instagram feed.
If you are not logged in, first enter your email address (or phone number or username) followed by your password
Step 2. Select a user profile
In your Instagram feed, tap a user's name or tap the magnifying glass search icon, enter a name in the search bar, and then select their account when it appears.
Step 3. Subscribe to the user if necessary
If you are not subscribed to the person whose post notifications you want to turn on, tap Subscribe at the top of his profile page.
Step 4. Press ⋯ (on iPhone) or ⋮ (on Android).
This button is located at the top right of the screen and opens a menu.
Step 5. Select Enable Post Notifications
This option is in the menu and allows you to activate the publication notifications. This means that you will receive notifications on your phone whenever the account posts something.
- You can turn off post notifications by going back to the profile, pressing ⋯ Where ⋮ then selecting Disable post notifications in the menu.
- If you receive multiple notifications from strangers, select Of the people that I am for all notifications from your apps whenever possible. This will reduce the amount of notifications you receive.