To watch it later or to show it to a friend, you can download an Instagram video to your Android. You can use a free app from the Google Play Store to download videos from public accounts. However, there is no way to do this for a private Instagram account even if you and the account in question are subscribed to each other.
Method 1 of 2: Use Video Downloader
Step 1. Install Video Downloader for Instagram app
Video Downloader allows you to download unprotected Instagram videos as posts. To install it:
- open the app Play store
- press the search bar;
- type video downloader for instagram;
- Press on Video Downloader - for Instagram Repost App in the drop-down menu that appears;
- select TO INSTALL then ACCEPT when prompted.
Step 2. Open Instagram
Tap the Instagram app icon that looks like a multi-colored camera. If you're signed in, the app will open on your news feed.
If you are not logged in, first enter your email address (or your username or phone number) followed by your password
Step 3. Go to the video you want to download
Scroll (or search) for the video you want to download to your Android.
The video must be public (it must not be from a private account) and be a post, not a story
Step 4. Press ⋮
This button is located at the top right of the video and opens a drop-down menu.
Step 5. Select Copy Link
This option is in the drop-down menu. The link will be copied to your Android's clipboard.
- If you don't see the option Copy link, select Share link then press Copy to clipboard. If the menu does not have any of these options, it means that you cannot download the video.
Step 6. Open Video Downloader for Instagram
Tap the Video Downloader for Instagram app icon that looks like a white downward arrow on a multicolored background.
Step 7. Press ALLOW when prompted
This will allow Video Downloader to save the videos to your Android.
Step 8. Paste the link if necessary
In most cases, the Video Downloader for Instagram app will detect the copied link and immediately preview the video at the top of the screen. If not, press TO STICK ON at the top of the screen.
Step 9. Tap the share icon
This is the pink and white triangle icon with 3 dots at each end. It is on the right of the screen.
Step 10. Choose Download Image
This option is in the share menu and allows you to download the video to your Android.
- It is possible that an advertisement will open at this time. If so, press the X in one of the corners of the screen before proceeding to the next step.
Step 11. Find the video on your Android
Once the video is downloaded to your Android, you will be able to locate it in a number of ways.
- With the Photos application: tap on the Photos application icon, go to the tab Albums then select the album Downloads. You will find your video there. If you are using a separate photo app (e.g. Samsung Gallery app), you will find the video in the app Videos.
- With the file manager: open your file manager (for example ES File Explorer), select the default storage space of your Android (for example SD card) open the folder Download then look for the icon of the downloaded video.
Method 2 of 2: Use SaveFromWeb
Step 1. Open Instagram
To open the Instagram app, tap the multi-colored camera icon. If you are logged in, this will open your news feed.
If you're not signed in, enter your email address (or your username or phone number) when prompted
Step 2. Go to the video you want to download
Scroll down (or search) to the video you want to download to your Android.
For it to be downloadable, the video must be public (it must not be from a private account) and must be a post and not a story
Step 3. Press ⋮
This icon is located at the top right of the video. Tap on it to open a drop-down menu.
Step 4. Select Copy Link
This option is in the drop-down menu and allows you to copy the link to your Android's clipboard.
- If you don't see the option Copy link in the drop-down menu, you will not be able to download the video.
Step 5. Open
Press the home button on your Android to minimize Instagram window. Then tap on the Chrome icon in the shape of a red, yellow, green and blue ball.
Step 6. Tap the address bar
The address bar is at the top of the page in Chrome and allows you to select the text inside.
Step 7. Go to the SaveFromWeb site
Type savefromweb.com then press Entrance Where To research.
Step 8. Tap the Instagram Video Paste field
Your Android keyboard will open.
Step 9. Long press the text field
A pop-up menu bar should open after a few seconds.
Step 10. Select Paste
This option is in the menu bar and allows you to paste the Instagram link into the text field.
Step 11. Press Download
The option Download is to the right of the text field. Tap it to open the video in a preview window.
Step 12. Download the video
Press on ⋮ at the bottom right of the preview window that appears then select Download from the drop-down menu. Chrome will download a copy of the video to the folder Downloads from your Android.
Step 13. Find the video on your Android
Once the video is downloaded to your Android, there are a number of ways you can find it.
- With the Photos application: tap the application icon Pictures, go to the tab Albums then select Downloads which contains the video you just downloaded. If you are using a separate photo app (e.g. Samsung Gallery app), you will find the video in the Videos app.
- With the file manager: open your file manager (for example ES File Explorer), select the default storage space of your Android (for example SD card), go to the folder Downloads then look for the icon of the video you just downloaded.
- With the notifications panel: swipe down at the top of the screen then tap on the notification Download complete.
You cannot download Instagram ads as videos
- Downloading Instagram videos violates the platform's terms of service and distributing other users' videos under your own name is copyright infringement.
- You cannot download private Instagram videos.