Asking someone on a date can be very nerve-racking, but it can also be hugely rewarding if you get the response you want. Quickly learn how to ask the girl of your dreams to accompany you to the school ball!
Part 1 of 2: Prepare
Step 1. Remember that even if a girl says no, she'll appreciate you asking her
One of the things that makes people so nervous about making this request of a girl is the possibility of being rejected or the idea that she's bored or doesn't appreciate that you asked her. Keep in mind, however, that being asked out is always flattering no matter what, and you will please him by asking.
Step 2. Find out if she's already going with someone
This will save you time and energy, and give you time to make other arrangements if necessary.
- If you're not sure if she's already going with someone, ask a friend of her or bring up the topic of dancing with her so you can find out a bit more about her plans.
- Don't try to convince her to let go of whoever she's going with. It will be unfair to the other person and people will have a bad idea of you. Remember, just because you don't go to prom together doesn't mean you won't have a chance with her in the future!
Step 3. Keep your options open
Think about other girls (if any) you'd like to go dancing with so you don't end up with no one else, if ever your first choice can't go with you. Having plans B will also help you feel less nervous.
Step 4. Decide how you want to ask her
You can ask him / her directly in person, by phone or by email. If you're feeling more creative, be a little more romantic and leave a note or flowers in her car or even in her locker.
Part 2 of 2: ask him
Step 1. Consider asking him in person
If you want to keep it classic and simple, ask it in person. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Choose the right time to make your request. Do not ask her if she is going out in the middle of the class or if she seems to be in a rush. You should also avoid asking him in front of other people. If she's with a group of friends, ask if you can talk to her privately for a little while.
- Start a friendly conversation with her first, then gently bring up the subject of the dance. Make sure you greet her properly and ask her how her day went before you ask her.
- Add a compliment to your request. For example, say something like "I think you are really great and funny and I was wondering if you would like to come to the prom with me".
- Don't forget to smile and look her in the eye. This will grab her attention and you will show her that you are really interested in her.
- Be prepared, but don't pretend you're following a script. Even if you have a general idea of what you want to say, avoid memorizing a text verbatim. Speak and answer him naturally.
- Look confident, even if you are terribly nervous. Confidence is the key and can have a real influence on his decision. Make sure you don't get too pompous as most girls don't like it.
Step 2. Submit your request by phone or email
Today, making a request by text, Facebook or email is not always acceptable, but it is still frequently used. This is especially useful if you are very shy, nervous, or unsure about his feelings towards you. Plus, if for some reason she says no, you'll have time to calm down before confronting her in person.
- Greet her properly and strike up a casual conversation before asking her. Try saying something like, “Hey, how are you? "Hey, how's your day going?" Or "Hey, what are you doing right? Questions like these give her a chance to tell you what's been going on lately and what her plans are for the next few days / weeks. If the ball is approaching, chances are the conversation will naturally drift onto this topic.
- Try to add a compliment to your request. It could make her feel special and no doubt put a smile on her face. Say something like, "I think you are really funny (smart, beautiful, interesting) and I was wondering if you would like to go to prom with me".
- Consider a more indirect approach. Instead of asking her clearly, ask her first what her plans are for the ball. So if she's already going with someone or planning to be out of town, you can figure out her answer without having to ask. If she says she's not sure or doesn't have anyone to go with, take this opportunity to ask her.
Step 3. Make a romantic gesture
This gesture gives you the best of both worlds: it's both anonymous (meaning you won't be in front of it) and romantic. Choose this option only if you know the girl relatively well and think she might be interested in you. Otherwise, she might not like it. Think of something that might make her happy, based on how much you already know about her. Try the following ideas.
- Leave him a note in his locker or on his car window.
- Send her flowers with a note asking if she'd like to date you. Find out what her favorite flower is to make the effect even better.
- Write her a cute or funny song. She will be charmed and you will have a better chance of her saying yes!
- Write the question on a cupcake, t-shirt, whiteboard, or something else. Use your imagination! You don't have to write the whole question out, just a "prom?" " will do.
- Asking him as quickly as possible will give you an edge over the other boys. Make sure to ask her before she plans anything else!
- Try to be at your best when you ask him to accompany you. You don't have to wear formal clothes, but paying attention to your look and smell will give you a better chance of getting a positive response.
- For best results, make your proposal to a girl who is interested in you and isn't already dating someone else.