Saying goodbye to a friend is not an easy thing to do, but it is something that most people have to say at some point in their life. Just because your friend is moving doesn't mean you don't have to be friends anymore. Saying a heartfelt goodbye to him is a great way to show that you are still invested in this friendship.
Method 1 of 4: Say goodbye with a gift
Step 1. Make a photo album of your friendship
You've probably collected dozens of photos of you and your friend already over the years. Putting them in a photo album is a wonderful way to celebrate your friendship and give your friend a keepsake she can take with her to her new home.
- If you have digital photos, print them on photo paper and use a pair of scissors to cut them out.
- Choose a photo album from a store. Be aware that you can find inexpensive albums in drugstores or make your own album if you are clever.
- Add captions below the photos. You could write down what you remember from the day the photo was taken, or write an intimate joke between the two of you related to the photo.
- You could also create an online photo album. This will give you both a copy of the album.
Step 2. Make a friendship bracelet
This is a classic way to show a friend that you care about him or her. Friendship bracelets are all the rage, they are perfect gifts for boys and girls and they are not hard to make. Go to a craft store and purchase some embroidery thread, then braid your bracelet into a colorful pattern. Tie the ends and cut off the excess thread.
- Make two matching bracelets, one for you and one for your friend, so you can think of your friendship when you look at them.
- You could buy friendship bracelets or necklaces made from silver or gold if you want something more expensive. Choose the classic heart halves (one for you, the other for your friend) or choose something else from the variety of other designs available.
Step 3. Give your friend a care package
Moving to a new place can be difficult. Your friend will probably need several weeks to acclimatize, and she won't really feel at home for a long time. Giving her a basket full of things that will help her remember her home will help her feel comforted when she misses you and her city.
- Choose a nice container for your gift. You could decorate a box, use a gift bag, or reuse a bag or tote bag.
- Add some elements that represent your hometown. You could include incense or candles from your favorite store, a book from the bookstore where you always hung out, or a mug from the cafe where you first met.
- Add tasty and comforting foods. Bake him cookies to enjoy on the flight to his new town or slip his favorite candy into a letter.
Method 2 of 4: Write a farewell letter
Step 1. Think about your friendship
Saying goodbye is actually a unique opportunity to rethink your friendship and tell your friend how important she is to you. Friends rarely get the chance to do this so take advantage of it. Write everything on your mind in a cathartic letter and your friend can cherish it forever.
- Tell her what you were thinking about when you first met her. Do you remember the first time you spent time together? Sometimes you know when someone you just met will become an important friend.
- Write her some of your favorite memories. Remember the movies you saw together, the concerts you attended, the fun nights you had.
- If you wish, open your heart further. You could also talk about the bad times and how you became friends after those difficult times.
Step 2. Relax the atmosphere with a few jokes
Saying goodbye is sad, but it's something that two of you experience. Your friend will have a lot of adjustments to make and as a close friend, it's your job to cheer her up. Add a few cheerful stories or jokes that will make her laugh when she rolls out your letter.
- Draw funny cartoon scenes starring yourself.
- Write something with codes and add a decoder on the back of the letter.
Step 3. Conclude the letter by promising to keep in touch
Make sure your friend knows that for you, this isn't the end of your friendship. Those years you spent together will always be remembered and distance is the next step in your friendship. Now you can visit each other's cities and share what you learn as you both explore different corners of the world.
Method 3 of 4: Have a goodbye party
Step 1. Go to your friend's favorite places
Spending a day doing the things you've always loved to do together is a fun way to say goodbye. You could do something special like go to a baseball game or see a concert. Go to dinner at your friend's favorite restaurant or cook dinner for her at home for a more intimate atmosphere.
Step 2. Have a school party
If you and your friend go to the same school, have a little lunch party with your other friends. Have everyone decorate their locker with greeting cards and bring some treats to share for lunch in their honor.
Step 3. Have a real party
If you and your friend have other friends in common, throw a goodbye party for your friend. It may or may not come as a surprise, you know what your best friend prefers so make the right choice. You could choose to throw a themed party or just keep it simple by gathering friends together at a restaurant for a goodbye dinner.
- Have all the guests write a funny memory relating to your best friend. At the party, have everyone read their memory.
- Bake or buy a goodbye cake for the party. Write "we will miss you" by opening your friend's name at the top of the cake.
Method 4 of 4: Say goodbye
Step 1. Go with your friend to the bus station or to the airport
Spending the last few minutes with her before she leaves will be magical. If it's not possible to get there with her, schedule another time to say goodbye to her during the last few days before she leaves.
- Ask your friend if she needs help packing. This is a great way to spend time with her by helping her reduce the stress of the move.
- She could be busy with her family during her last days. If so, stop by her house for an hour or two to say goodbye.
Step 2. Tell your friend how you are feeling
There is no specific way to say "goodbye". The best way to do this is to tell the truth about how you are feeling. Even if you aren't quite articulate, your friend will know how much you love her. The warmth and love you express will strengthen her courage and she will need it to travel to her new city and start a new life.
- It can be difficult to directly express deep feelings for someone, but now is the time to do it. Tell your friend that you love her and will miss her.
- Saying "goodbye" is sometimes too difficult to do. A hug and a genuine smile will make her understand what you are trying to express.
- Don't stop being best friends and don't lose touch.
- Let her know that you will always be friends and that you will keep in touch.
- Remember that physical distance doesn't change everything, you can still maintain a healthy and active relationship with your friend.
- Sometimes the best thing is to move. There are reasons for this, don't give up! Hold your head up, your friend might have a harder time saying goodbye not only to you, but to the rest of her friends, when you are only saying goodbye to one person.
- When you find out that your friend is moving, try to bond with your other friends so that you don't feel too lonely when she's gone.
- Be as happy as possible and smile when she leaves.
- While you may think you must be looking happy, your friend might take it the wrong way. Don't be afraid to show your emotions. It is normal for you to feel bad about seeing your friend leave.