Skype allows you to make video calls on different devices. If you have the Skype app installed, you can make video calls from your computer or mobile device.
Method 1 of 2: Make a call on a Windows PC or Mac
Step 1. Check if there is a webcam
Make sure your computer has a webcam. On most laptops, the webcam looks like a small hole on the top edge of the screen. Most laptops made in the past five years have webcams.
If your computer does not have a webcam, you must purchase an external webcam. Either go to the store where you bought your computer or buy one online. You don't need to buy one of value, but if you plan to make multiple video calls, you should purchase one that will provide you with high quality videos
Step 2. Install Skype
Depending on whether you are using a Mac or a PC, the download link is different.
- For Windows users, go to the link: . Click the green button Download Skype for Windows Desktop.
- For Mac users, go to the link: . Click the green button Download Skype for Mac.
Step 3. Follow the installer instructions
The Skype download will start automatically and the installer will guide you through the installation of the program.
Step 4. Open Skype
After installing the program, open Skype. If you have trouble finding the program, follow these instructions for Mac or PC.
- For Windows users, press the Windows key (to the left of the Alt key), type Skype and press Enter.
- For Mac users open Finder, search for Skype and click on it.
- If the program does not appear after searching, try installing it again.
Step 5. Click on a contact
On the left side of your screen, you'll see a list of contacts, if you've added any. Click on the name to start a conversation with that person.
- If you haven't added any contacts, you need to add at least one contact first. Request a friend's Skype ID, click Contacts at the top left of your window, click Add a contact in the drop-down menu, then type your friend's Skype ID.
Step 6. Start a video call
To start a video call, you must first be in the contact's conversation window. The instructions differ slightly depending on whether you are using a Mac or a PC.
- For Windows users, click the icon in the upper right corner of the window that looks like a camera. It's a blue circle with a white camera inside.
- For Mac users, click the icon in the upper right corner of the window that looks like a camera. It's a green circle with a white camera inside. Depending on your Skype version, the icon may only display Video Call.
- Skype will ask for your permission to use your camera. Click Allow to allow Skype access to your camera.
Step 7. End the call when you are finished
End the call by pressing the red button at the bottom of the video call window. The icon looks like a red circle with a white phone inside the circle.
You will need to move your cursor in the video call window to bring up the hang up button
Method 2 of 2: Make a call on a mobile device
Step 1. Look for a webcam
Make sure your mobile device has a front camera. The camera will likely be located at the top edge of your mobile device's screen. Unfortunately, you will need a front camera other than the regular camera.
Step 2. Install the Skype application
The Skype site will send you a download location on your phone number. Access this link: . Click on Download the app below your phone title, then enter your phone number.
Or either, find and install the app from the app store on your phone
Step 3. Open the app
Find the app on your phone and open it. The icon is blue with a white S inside.
Step 4. Click on a contact
On the Contacts tab at the top of the screen, click a contact's name to start a conversation with them. If you haven't added a contact, read our article on how to add a contact on Skype.
Step 5. Start a video call
When you're in a conversation with a contact, click the camera icon near the bottom of the screen. This will start a video call with the person.
Be aware that the person you are calling must also have a mobile device with a front camera so that you can see them
Step 6. End the call when you are finished
While on a video call with a contact, end the call by pressing the red button at the bottom of the screen. You have to tap somewhere on the screen for the hang up button to appear.