Want to play a little trick on your friends? Try this maddening, but harmless virus! Read on, you'll know how to do it.
Part 1 of 2: Build a virus
Step 1. Run Notepad so that you can enter text with very little layout
Click Start> All Programs> Accessories> Notepad.
If you are using Mac, run Textedit
Step 2. Enter a small batch file
Write this in your text file (without the bullets):
- @echo off
- echo hahahaha I'm a pirate!
- shutdown -s -f -t 60 -c "your pc is infected"
Step 3. Click File> Save As
Step 4. Name your file
Step 5. Change the extension of the ".txt" file to ".bat" or ".cmd"
Step 6. Change the type ".txt" to "All files"
Step 7. Click Save
Step 8. Close Notepad
Part 2 of 2: create a fake icon
Step 1. Right click on your desktop
Click on New> Shortcut.
Step 2. Choose your virus as the location for your shortcut
Step 3. Click Next
Step 4. Name your shortcut so that your victim is sure to click on it
Step 5. Click Finish
Step 6. Right click on the shortcut you just created and choose “Properties”
Step 7. Click Change Icon and scroll through the list of icons
Step 8. Choose an icon that matches the name of your file
Click on it then twice on OK.
These steps will not work on Windows 7 Pro
- You can also schedule your 'virus' to run each time a user logs in. Go to Start> right click on All Programs> Open and copy the shortcut to the file that appears. Pay attention to the stated closing time. A very limited interval will allow the most illiterate in computers to deactivate the virus.
A boot in safe mode will interrupt the startup and the startup key.
If you have done too much, start a Linux Server and access the hard drive. Find the file and delete it.
- Running such kind of batch files in full screen mode can make them more alarming and believable. Right click on the icon and choose Properties> Options> Full Screen.
- Do not shut down the computer too quickly. It may not scare your victim, or even look like a virus.
- It would be better if you name your file "Internet Explorer" by choosing the corresponding icon. Save it to your desktop and delete the old Internet shortcut. As soon as your victim clicks on it, the computer will shut down.
- Once this virus is activated, there is almost no way to stop it. In case you want to get rid of it, go to the command prompt and type "shutdown -a" in the window that appears. The virus will be immediately deactivated.
- Only play these kinds of pranks on someone who can handle them.
- Do not run these viruses on essential computers around the clock, such as those in hospitals.
- If you want to run a closing countdown, be sure to set it so that you have enough time to turn it off.