AVI (Audio Visual Interleave) files are container media files used for playing synchronized, single-audio video in Microsoft Windows applications. You may find it necessary to convert an AVI file to MP4 (MPEG-4) in order to play them on other playback media, such as smartphones, iPods, or PSPs. MP4 files are also container media files. MP4 is the most popular file type for portable playback. You can convert an AVI file to MP4 using a purchased or free file converter program or by uploading the AVI file to an online file converter site.
Method 1 of 2: Use converter software
Step 1. Look for free file converter software
File converter software can be downloaded and used to convert AVI file to MP4. User and editor feedback can help you choose your best option to convert AVI file to MP4. Here are some software options you should consider:
- Convert AVI to MP4
Step 2. Purchase or download the file converter program you selected and install it on your computer
While free software is much preferable, it's understandable that you may need professional (paid) software, if your printing needs are extremely specific in terms of codec, size, and other criteria.
Step 3. Open the program and read any instructions or tutorials
If you downloaded the program online without paying for it, check out specific clicker forums or post any specific questions you may have on that forum.
Step 4. Import the AVI file into the file converter program as instructed
Most programs either have an "Add Files" option or the ability to manually drag and drop the file (s) onto the convert screen.
Step 5. Choose.mp4 as the output format
Add the applicable settings for size, resolution, codec and other factors in the settings menu, if your program has one.
Step 6. Choose the output file destination folder and name (optional)
Open the drop-down output folder and select the destination folder where you want to save the converted file to be accessible. Proceed to the next step if you want to use the default location for the converted files.
- Choose the output file nomenclature which will help you easily find and recover files.
Step 7. Start your file conversion as instructed on the software
Method 2 of 2: Use an online file conversion site
Step 1. Find a site that supports online file conversions and download the AVI file
Check the website for any setting limits, which free online services often have.
Step 2. Choose.mp4 as the output format
Step 3. Customize the output file settings for converting.avi file to.mp4, if required
Step 4. Enter your email address to receive and download the converted file
Step 6. Click on the specified location to start the file conversion
Step 7. Check your notification email that the conversion is complete
Step 8. Download the converted MP4 file
- File converter programs that support multiple conversion will save you a significant amount of time because they can convert multiple files at once.
- Many file conversion programs or websites have the "wizard" option to help you choose the best playback device output settings you want to use.
- Save your AVI files if they are larger and less compressed than the final MP4 files. If you need to do additional conversions in the future, you'll want to use the highest quality source file possible for best results.
- Use caution in choosing a program or website to convert your.avi files to.mp4 files. In addition to the ad clutter and popup windows, some programs are advertised as "free", but are actually trial versions that will only allow you to convert partial files until you pay for the full version.
- Carefully read the terms and conditions of the file conversion software services.
- Be careful about downloading additional toolbars or other features.