If you need to rotate objects in Adobe Photoshop, be aware that the procedure is the same whether you are on Mac or Windows.
Step 1. Open or create a new Photoshop file
To do this, double click on the blue icon that contains the letters "Ps", then click on the File in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- To open an existing file, click To open…
- To create a new file, click New…
Step 2. Click on a layer
Click on the layer that contains the object you want to rotate, in the layers window at the bottom right of the screen.
- If you don't see the window Layers, Click on the button Windows in the menu bar at the top of the screen, then select Layers. The layers window will then appear in the lower right corner of the Photoshop window.
Step 3. Click Quick Selection Tool
It is symbolized by an icon representing a brush and a dotted rectangle. It's at the top of the toolbar on the left of the window.
- If you can't see the Quick selection tool, long click on the Magic wand tool to open the menu that contains it.
Step 4. Select an object
Use the Quick selection tool to highlight the object you want to rotate.
If you want to rotate the layer itself, you don't need to make a selection
Step 5. Click Edit
The button is located in the menu bar at the top of the window.
Step 6. Select Transformation
The option is in the middle of the drop-down menu.
Step 7. Click Rotate 180 °
This will rotate the object the other way.
Step 8. Click 90 ° Clockwise Rotation
This will rotate the bottom of the object or layer up and to the left.
Step 9. Click Rotate 90 ° Counterclockwise
This will rotate the bottom of the object or layer up and to the right.
Step 10. Click Rotate
This will allow you to freely rotate the object. A frame with eight small squares will surround your selection.
- Click and hold on one of these squares, then use the on-screen cursor to rotate the object.
- The degrees of the rotation will be displayed in a small window when you rotate the object.
Step 11. Confirm the rotation
Press ⏎ Return when you have rotated the object as desired.
- If you hold down the "Shift" key, the rotation will be done in steps of 15 degrees.
- Using keyboard shortcuts will decrease the number of steps for more advanced users. So you can take advantage of it to make your job easier.
- M - Rectangle Selection Tool
- V - Move tool
- Ctrl + T (Cmd + T for Mac) - Tool Manual transformation, which allows you to change the size of the object or rotate it.