Using an HDTV (High-Definition Television) antenna based on the DB4 scheme is one of the most efficient ways to receive HDTV signals. Buying this type of antenna in a store will cost you between 20 and 30 euros. However, you can make your own antenna for a much lower cost. Making an HDTV antenna is pretty straightforward.
Step 1. Prepare the support
Take a plank of wood.
- It should measure in width and thickness: 2.5 x 7.5 cm or 5 x 7.5 cm.
- Its length should be 55 cm.
- After positioning the board horizontally, draw lines from left to right at: 5cm, 18cm, 31cm and 44cm. Use a marker or pencil for this.
- Place two dots on each line, spacing them evenly.
Step 2. Prepare the copper wire
Cut 8 pieces of copper wire.
Each of the pieces should be 35 cm long
Step 3. Shape the wires
Fold each piece of copper.
- Each of them must be folded so that its sides are each 17.5 cm.
- The space between the two ends should be 7.5 cm.
- The folded wires should look like "V's" when you are finished.
Step 4. Position the wires
Tie the wires in a "V" shape to the board.
- Attach the center (the folded part) of each of the wires to the locations marked with a dot on the board, using screws and washers.
- When you are done, each wire should protrude outside the board.
Step 5. Add a portion of copper
Braid two copper wires on the board.
- Use whatever thread you have left to do this.
- The folded portions of the "V" wires should all be in contact with the braid once.
- The two wires must not touch each other.
- Make sure at least one of the wires you are braiding is insulated. Vinyl insulation works well.
- Once in place, the wires should look like 2 "X's" connecting the first and second, then the third and fourth set of "V" wires. Two horizontal lines should connect the "X" shapes at the height of the second and third set of "V" shaped wires.
Step 6. Attach the reflectors to the board
The reflectors will be made from steel mosquito netting.
- The two reflectors must be placed on either side of the board and attached to its back face.
- The dimensions of the reflectors must be: 38 x 23 cm.
- Use screws to attach them.
- The reflectors should not be in contact with the "V" wires.
Step 7. Attach a balun
You need to connect a balun to the two middle sections of the wire.
- It is a transformer that you can buy on the internet or from an electronic equipment dealer.
- Follow the instructions that came with your balun.
Step 8. Connect the antenna
Connect your antenna to your HD television.
- Use a coaxial cable. You can get it on the internet or from an electronic equipment dealer.
- Follow the installation instructions that came with your coaxial cable.