µTorrent is a program that allows you to download BitTorrent files. Before you start to download anything with this software, you should know how to set the protocol encryption which allows you to ensure a secure connection to a torrent server. Keep in mind that downloading copyrighted content that you have not purchased is prohibited, and you could get into a lot of trouble if you did.
Part 1 of 2: enable protocol encryption
Step 1. Open µTorrent
This application looks like a white "µ" on a light green background. A window will open.
If you haven't installed it yet, you can download it for free by going to
Step 2. Click Options (Windows) or µTorrent (Mac).
You will see it at the top of the window. A drop-down menu should appear.
Step 3. Click Preferences
This option is at the top of the menu that just opened. You will find yourself in the preferences window.
Step 4. Select the BitTorrent tab
You will see it on the left of the preferences window (Windows) or at the top of the same window (Mac).
Step 5. Click the Protocol Encryption box
You should see it at the bottom of the preferences window. It should say “Disabled”. By clicking on it, a drop-down menu should appear.
- On Mac, there is no drop-down menu, but you have to find the section Outbound encryption at the bottom of the window.
Step 6. Choose On Where Strength.
This allows you to enable protocol encryption for anything you download with the software.
- By choosing Strength, you will make the connection more secure, but it could also lead to a slower or less stable connection speed.
Step 7. Click Apply, then on OK.
Both options are at the bottom of the window. This saves the changes. You can now continue with the download of the torrent of your choice and use µTorrent to download the torrent files you want.
On a Mac, the settings are saved automatically, you just need to click on the cross on a red background at the top of the window to close it
Part 2 of 2: Download with µTorrent
Step 1. Find a torrent to download
A torrent is a file that you open with a client (in this case µTorrent) so that you can download torrent-related files (e.g. movies, games, PDFs, etc.) To find a torrent you want to download, you can go to a site you trust and do a search.
If you don't know a torrent search site, type the name of what you want to download followed by "torrent" and the current year (eg "2017") into a search engine and press Enter
Step 2. Download the file
Click on the button To download on your favorite site and wait for the download to complete. Keep in mind that this button could be different from site to site, in some cases it could just be an arrow pointing down.
Since torrent files are more or less links to online files, downloading the file itself should only take a few seconds
Step 3. Double-click on the file
When you install µTorrent, it should become the default torrent client for your computer. So, by double clicking on a torrent file, you should automatically open µTorrent.
- If µTorrent is not your default client, you can click File in the top left corner of the software (Windows) or screen once it is open (Mac), then select Add a torrent …, choose the file in the window and click on To open.
Step 4. Select OK
You will see it at the bottom of the options window.
You can review the torrent file information, including the files you want to download and the folder where you want to save them (eg “Downloads”)
Step 5. Wait for the files to download
Once you see “Downloading 0, 0%” with the torrent name on the µTorrent window, you know the files have started to download.
It may take a few minutes for the software to reach its maximum download speed
Step 6. Leave the file when you are done
People who have downloaded the contents of the file and now allow others to access it are called “seeders”. It was thanks to the seeders that you had access to the files at the start. It is considered to be kinder to leave files available at least for a while after downloading them.
Torrent files will automatically point to your files once you have downloaded them
- If your download does not have enough seeders to complete, you can increase their number to try and increase the download speed.
- Download µTorrent only from the official software page. If you downloaded it from another site, you might install viruses at the same time.
- Be sure to check the comments about the file you are downloading to be sure there is no problem.
- It is generally considered illegal to download content that you normally have to pay to view such as movies, music, games, software, or other digital items.
- The standard version of µTorrent is free and always has been. If you are asked to pay for the standard version of µTorrent, you should not pay or download it from this site.