Google Docs is a word processing program that allows you to write and edit documents in text form, and then store them online. With a free Google Account, you can use it to create and edit text documents, even those written in Microsoft Word. You can open Google Docs files in Google Docs and Microsoft Word, and Word documents in Google Docs.
Method 1 of 4: Open Google Docs files in Google Docs
Step 1. Locate the Google Docs file you want to open
To read or view a file created in Google Docs (with a filename ending in ".gdoc"), you must open it in Google Docs. This is possible on the Google Docs website or on the mobile app.
- If the file is attached to an email, first download it to your computer by clicking on it and then saving it to your desktop.
- If you receive an email that says "(user) gives you access to the following document", just click on the button that says Open in Docs to view and edit the file.
Step 2. Download the Google Docs app
If you're using a mobile device, first download the Google Docs app. If you have an iPhone or iPad, install it from the App Store. On Android, you can download it from the Play Store.
Step 3. Double-click on the Google Doc file
The file is now open in Google Docs.
- If you are on a computer, the document will automatically open in your default web browser. If you're using a mobile device, it will open in the Google Docs app.
- If you are not yet signed in to your Google Account, Google Docs will ask you to sign in.
Method 2 of 4: Open Google Docs files in Microsoft Word
Step 1. Open your document in Google Docs
If you've edited a file in Google Docs, but want to make edits in Word in the future, the process is simple. You just need to download the Google Docs file in Word ".docx" file format.
- If you are not yet logged in, you will be prompted to do so.
- If you have the Google Docs app on your mobile device, use it to open the document.
Step 2. Click File and then Download As
Different backup options will appear.
- In the Google Docs app on your mobile device, press ⋮ and then select Share and export.
Step 3. Choose Microsoft Word
When prompted, choose a save location that you won't forget.
- In the mobile application, select Save as Word.
Step 4. Open Microsoft Word
You can use Word on your computer or mobile device.
- If you're using Word Online, you'll need to upload the document to OneDrive before you can edit it. Sign in to OneDrive then click Load > Files to find the document to upload.
Step 5. Press Ctrl + O (on Windows)
If you're using a Mac, press ⌘ Command + O and then double-click the file you want to open. The document you saved from Google Docs is now open in Word.
- In Word Online, click Open from OneDrive to find your file.
- In the Word mobile app, tap the folder icon and then select the file.
Method 3 of 4: Open Microsoft Word files in Google Docs
Step 1. Open Google Chrome
Use this method if you want to open Word files in Google Docs. You must have the Google Chrome browser installed on your computer.
If you are using the Google Docs application, no special installation or configuration will be required to open Word files. You will only have to double-tap the file to open it in Google Docs
Step 2. Display the Office Editor extension for Docs, Sheets, and Slides
This extension for Chrome must be installed for the process to work.
Step 3. Click Add to Chrome
Step 4. Select Add Extension
Click on this link to begin the installation. At the end of the process, you will see the installation screen disappear.
Step 5. Double-click on a Word file
To open a Word file in Google Docs, you just need to double click on it. Whether it's a document emailed as an attachment or saved to your Google Drive, you can now open and save it in its original form.
If the file is on your computer, you will need to upload it to your Google Drive first
Method 4 of 4: Create a new Google Docs file
Step 1. Log into your Google account
To be able to use Google Docs, you must have a Google account. If you don't already have a Google Account, you can create one first.
If you're using a mobile device, you'll also need to install the Google Docs app. IPhone and iPad users can download the app from the App Store. If you are using an Android, you can download it from the Play Store
Step 2. Click on the application menu icon
These are the 9 square shaped boxes at the top right of the Google.com screen. Click on it then select Drive to open your Google Drive.
In the mobile app, tap the + icon
Step 3. Select New then Google Docs
A new Google Docs file will open in the program.
- If you're using a mobile device, tap New document.
- Google Docs files are automatically saved and you won't need to click Save when you are done.
- Google Slides is a free alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint and Google Sheets to Microsoft Excel. These programs are used the same way you use Google Docs.
- To open a Google Doc file in your computer's file explorer (for example Finder or Windows File Explorer), simply double-click on it. Your default web browser will open asking you to sign in to your Google Account.
- To rename a file in Google Docs on the web, click Untitled document and start typing. In the mobile app, tap the ⋮ icon, then tap Untitled document.