Learn how to insert a time marker into a comment that links to a specific point in a YouTube video.
Method 1 of 2: Comment out a link to a point in a YouTube video on mobile
Step 1. Open YouTube
The application is represented by a white triangle drawn on a red background. Before commenting on YouTube, you should log into your account.
- If you haven't signed in yet, tap the profile icon in the top right corner of the screen, then tap TO LOG IN. Then press Add an account, then enter your password and email address. Now press Following.
Step 2. Choose a video
It must be the one you want to comment on. You have several possibilities to do this.
- Tap the magnifying glass icon which is in the upper right corner of the screen, enter the name of the video and search.
- Choose a home screen video from one of the channels you recently subscribed to.
- Tap the tab Subscriptions at the bottom (iPhone) or at the top (Android) of the screen and choose a video.
Step 3. Tap the video to pause it
Then look at the duration. You should pause the video where you want to link. You will see the time marker in the lower left corner of the video in this format
hours: minutes: seconds.
- If for example you stop the video at 1 minute and 30 seconds, you will see 1:30 in the lower left corner of the window.
Step 4. Scroll down and tap Add public comment
You'll see this field at the bottom of similar videos that are directly below the one you're playing.
Step 5. Enter the duration exactly as shown
This action will automatically link to that point in the video when you post your comment.
For the example above, you could write Hi, what happened at 1:30? in order to draw attention to that sequence where you paused
Step 6. Tap the blue publish arrow
It is located in the lower right corner of the comment box. This action will publish your text and the duration will be displayed in blue as a clickable link.
Method 2 of 2: Comment out a point in a YouTube video on your computer
Step 1. Go to the YouTube site
If you have already logged into your account, you will be automatically redirected to the home page when you go to the site.
- If you have not yet logged into your YouTube account, click the button TO LOG IN which is in the upper right corner of the page, then enter your password and email address. Then click on Following.
Step 2. Choose a video
To do this, write the name of the video in the search bar at the top of the page and press Enter (or Return). You also have the option to choose a video on the home page.
Step 3. Click on the video to pause it
Then look at the duration. You will see the time marker in the lower left corner of the video, right next to the volume icon. It is presented in this format hours: minutes: seconds.
- You will also see the total duration of the video to the right of the pause time in this format current playing time / total video length.
- If for example you have paused a video from 5 minutes to 2 minutes 30 seconds, the marker will display 2:03 / 5:00.
Step 4. Scroll down and click Add public comment
You will see this field at the bottom of the description box, directly below the section FEEDBACK.
Step 5. Write down the current weather exactly as it looks
This action will immediately create a link to that point in the video when you post your comment.
According to the example above, you should write something like Take a look at 2:03 in the comment box
Step 6. Click Add Comment
This button is located at the bottom right of the input field. When you click on it, your comment will be published. The time marker will automatically display in blue and link to the duration you specified.
- You have the possibility to insert several time markers in a comment.
- If you feel like creating a summary in the description area of a video, you should create links for different segments of the video the same way you would place time markers in comments.