You can download a YouTube video to your computer, phone or tablet to watch it later. If you are a YouTube Premium subscriber, you can easily download videos for offline viewing in the YouTube app. If not, you will need to use a converter like OnlineVideoConverter to convert the content to a downloadable file.
Method 1 of 4: Use YouTube Premium for Android, iPhone, or iPad
Step 1. Open YouTube on your phone or tablet
If you have subscribed to YouTube Premium (formerly known as YouTube Red), you will be able to easily download videos for later watching offline. Start by opening YouTube by tapping on the square red icon with a white triangle inside. This icon is usually found on the Home screen (on iPhone / iPad) or in the application drawer (on Android).
- If you want to subscribe to YouTube Premium, tap on your profile picture at the top right of the YouTube app, select Subscribe to YouTube Premium then follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 2. Select the video you want to watch offline
The video will launch automatically.
Step 3. Press the download button
This button looks like a gray circle with a downward facing arrow on a white line. It can be found just below the video.
Step 4. Choose a video quality
The options may vary from video to video.
If you want the app to remember your settings for future downloads, check the box next to “Save my settings”
Step 5. Press OK
The video will download at the selected size and quality. At the end of the download, you will see a blue and white check mark below the video.
If you are using an iPhone or iPad, the download will start when you stop viewing the video currently playing
Step 6. Open the Library
To watch a video when you are not logged in, go to the tab Library at the bottom right of YouTube, then tap the video.
Method 2 of 4: Use OnlineVideoConverter on a computer
Step 1. Go to the video that interests you
On YouTube.com, click the name of the video you want to download.
Step 2. Copy the URL of the YouTube video
Highlight the entire URL then press Ctrl + C (on a Windows computer) or Command + C (on a Mac) to copy it to the clipboard.
Step 3. Go to this page
OnlineVideoConverter is a free website that converts YouTube videos to downloadable files.
Step 4. Right click on the Copy link here field
This field is at the top of the page. Click on it to open a menu.
Step 5. Select Paste
The URL you copied will appear in the field.
Step 6. Choose a video format from the Format menu
This menu is located just below the field where you pasted the URL. Choose the video format you want to use on the right of the list. Most modern video players support all of these formats.
Step 7. Click Start
It's the orange button below the menu. An animation "Preparing for your conversion" will appear on the screen. At the end of the process, you will see a link To download.
If you receive an error, it's usually because an extension in your web browser (such as an ad blocker or other content filtering tool) is preventing the website from working properly. Disable any problematic extensions, refresh the page, and try again
Step 8. Select Download
It's the blue button at the top of the page. Click on it to open the dialog box Save on your computer.
Step 9. Click Save to download the video
The converted YouTube video will be downloaded to your computer. At the end of the download, you will be able to double-click on its name to view it.
Method 3 of 4: Use OnlineVideoConverter on iPhone or iPad
Step 1. Download Documents by Readle from the App Store
This is a free application that will allow you to easily download files (like the videos you converted) for viewing on your iPhone or iPad. Although the conversion site is accessible from the Safari app, you will need Documents to complete the download and easily find the video file. To download Documents:
- open theApp Store
- Press on To research at the bottom right of the screen;
- type documents then press To research;
- scroll the page then select Documents by Readle (the gray "D" shaped application with a multicolored side);
- Press on Get;
- follow the on-screen instructions to install the app (you can close the App Store after installation is complete).
Step 2. Open YouTube on your iPhone or iPad
This is the white icon with a white triangle inside a red rectangle. It is usually found on the home screen.
Step 3. Open the video you want to download
Tap the name of the video to open it. It should launch automatically.
Step 4. Tap Share
It's the gray curved arrow below the video.
Step 5. Select Copy Link
This is the gray round icon with 2 squares overlapping inside. The URL will be copied to your clipboard.
Step 6. Open Documents
The Documents app icon is white with a gray D inside. You'll find it on one of your home screens.
If this is your first time using Documents, you will need to scroll through all of the intro screens first
Step 7. Tap the blue compass icon
This icon is located at the bottom right of the application and opens the web browser integrated in Documents.
Step 8. Log in to OnlineVideoConverter
Type or paste the URL in the field at the top of the screen and then press the key. To access to open the site.
Step 9. Long press the Paste link here field
You will see 2 options appear.
Step 10. Choose Paste
This option allows you to insert the copied URL in the field.
- By default, the video will be downloaded in.mp4 format and can be played without problem on your iPhone or iPad. If you want to change the format to something else, select one of the options available in the menu Format.
Step 11. Press START
This is the orange button. Tap on it to convert YouTube video to downloadable file. At the end of the process, you will be taken to a download page.
Step 12. Select DOWNLOAD
It's the blue button below the video preview. Tap on it to open the window Save file.
- By default, the file will be saved in the folder Downloads of the Documents application. Do not change this location, as this is how you will be able to watch the video without encountering any issues.
Step 13. Tap Done
This option is at the top right of the screen and allows you to download the file to your iPhone or iPad.
- At the end of the download, you will see a red number appear on the icon Downloads (the arrow facing down with a line at the bottom of the screen).
- You may be asked to turn on notifications for the app. If you want to receive notifications at the end of each download (or each time an event occurs in Documents), press To allow. If you do not want to receive any notifications, tap Not to allow.
Step 14. Tap the downloads icon
It is the downward facing arrow with a red number at the bottom of the screen. A list of the files you downloaded with Documents (have the video you just downloaded) will appear.
Step 15. Tap the video you want to watch
The video will open in the default video player of your iPhone or iPad.
- To watch the video later, open Documents, go to the folder Downloads then tap the video file.
Method 4 of 4: Use OnlineVideoConverter on Android
Step 1. Open YouTube on your Android
The YouTube app icon looks like a red rectangle with a white triangle inside. You'll usually find it on the home screen or in the app drawer.
Step 2. Go to the video you want to watch later
To open a video, tap its title. Play should start automatically.
Step 3. Tap Share
This button looks like a curved gray arrow and is located below the video.
Step 4. Select Copy Link
The button Copy link is a rounded gray icon with 2 overlapping squares inside. The URL will be copied to your clipboard.
Step 5. Open a web browser
You can use Chrome, Samsung Internet, or any other browser you want.
Step 6. Log in to this page
Type or paste the URL in the field at the top of the screen and then press the key. Entrance to open the site.
Step 7. Long press the Paste link here field
You will see different options appear.
Step 8. Select Paste
The copied URL will be inserted in the field.
- The video file will be downloaded in.mp4 format and you can play it smoothly on your Android. To choose another video format, select one of the options available in the menu Format.
Step 9. Press the orange START button
OnlineVideoConverter will convert the YouTube video to a downloadable file and redirect you to a download page at the end of the process.
If an advertisement or notification appears during the conversion, close them to continue
Step 10. Choose DOWNLOAD
This is the first blue button below the video preview.
Step 11. Follow the on-screen instructions to save the file
The following steps vary from Android device to Android device, but usually you will see a window Download file where you can select a save location. Choose the folder Downloads if it is not already selected then follow the on-screen instructions to save the file.
- You may need to allow the app to save files to your Android first before the window Download file does not appear.
Step 12. Watch the video when you are offline
Whenever you want to watch the video, open the app Downloads on your Android (usually found in the app drawer) and then tap the video to open it.
- If you don't have an app Downloads open your file manager (the application which is usually called My files, Files Where File manager) then navigate to the folder Downloads.