If a YouTube video has an age limit, you will be asked to log into your account and verify your age. There were previously many solutions to bypass this verification process, including websites like NSFWYouTube and Listen on Repeat, which allowed you to watch any video of your choice without signing in. However, since the start of 2021, YouTube has implemented changes that prevent other websites from displaying these videos. Fortunately, there are a few downloadable apps that allow you to override this. Learn how to bypass the age restrictions implemented by YouTube on your computer, phone or tablet.
Method 1 of 3: Use FreeTube on a computer
Step 1. Install FreeTube on your PC or Mac
FreeTube is a free app that allows you to view any content on YouTube without having to log in or verify your age. To get the app, follow the steps below.
- Access the Freetube site in your web browser.
- Click on the link .zip if you are using Windows, or on the .dmg if you are on macOS. Save the file to your computer when prompted.
- If you are on Windows, right click on the file .zip downloaded, select Extract all, and click Extract. Then double-click on the file that starts with freetube and ends with exe and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
- On a Mac, double-click on the file .dmg and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 2. Open FreeTube
You will find its icon F red and blue in the menu To start up Windows or in the folder Applications from your Mac.
Step 3. Find the video you want to watch
You can do this by typing your search terms in the blank field at the top of the screen. If you have the url of your video, you can paste it into the search bar. When the video loads, you won't be prompted to verify your age or sign in to YouTube.
FreeTube also allows you to subscribe to the channels of your choice. The channels to which you are subscribed will be saved in your profile
Method 2 of 3: Use NewPipe on an Android device
Step 1. Install NewPipe on your Android device
NewPipe is a free Android app that lets you watch age-restricted videos on your phone or tablet. Since NewPipe is not available through the Google Play Store, you cannot install it like you do with your other apps.
- If your device is running Android 7 (Nougat) or earlier, open your app Settings, Press on Security Where Biometrics and security, then turn on the switch Allow unknown apps.
- Open a browser on your Android device and navigate to its folder on GitHub.
- In the latest version (the one at the top of the page), tap the link that starts with NewPipe_v and ends with .apk. It will be in the section Assets (Active). If the download does not start automatically, follow the onscreen instructions to start it now.
- Open your file Downloads. If you have an app called Files Where My files, tap it and select Downloads. Otherwise, you'll probably have an app called Downloads: tap it to open the folder.
- Tap the file . APK and follow the onscreen instructions to install it. Once installed, the app icon will be added to your list of apps.
Step 2. Open NewPipe
Its icon is red, round, and contains a white triangle with a small piece missing.
Step 3. Tap the small magnifying glass
It is at the top right and a search bar will open.
Step 4. Find a video
You can search for anything you want, including videos with an age limit.
Step 5. Tap a video to start watching it
NewPipe will not ask you to log in or verify your age.
Method 3 of 3: Use VLC Media Player on Phone or Tablet
Step 1. Install VLC on your Android, iPhone or iPad
If you have an Android device, search for the app VLC for Android in the Google Play Store and tap To install to get it. If you're on an iPhone or iPad, search for VLC for Mobile in the App Store and tap GET to install it.
- Many people on Reddit report that you can watch age-restricted videos without logging in if you watch them through VLC. However, this may not work for all videos subject to an age limit. It may not work everywhere.
- It is no longer possible to bypass age restrictions by using VLC on a computer.
Step 2. Copy the URL of the video you want to watch
Open your browser, go to the YouTube website, and search for the video. The video won't play without you logging into your account, but you can still copy its URL.
- Tap the URL in the address bar at the top of your browser to highlight it.
- Long press on the highlighted URL and select To copy when it appears.
Step 3. Open VLC on your phone or tablet
Its icon is a white and orange traffic cone.
The first time you open the app, follow the onscreen instructions to set it up and grant it permission to run
Step 4. Open a new network stream
The steps to follow are different depending on your phone or tablet.
Press on More at the bottom right, then press + New flow on the top corner left.
iPhone and iPad:
press tab Network at the bottom of the screen, then tap Open network flow.
Step 5. Paste the copied URL into the address bar
It is located at the top of your screen. To paste, long press on the address bar and select To stick on.
Step 6. Start the video
Tap the Send (Android) or Open Network Feed (iPhone / iPad) button.
Some videos with an age limit may still not open with VLC, but most will
- Do not follow these methods at school or at work because you may not want your teachers or leaders to see the video you are watching. You could likely face disciplinary action if you get caught.
- Make sure to clear your browsing history or browse in private mode if you don't want anyone to see that you watched the video in question.
- Do not do this if you are under the required legal age or if it is illegal to view NSFW (inappropriate for school or work) content where you live.