You can send a video to someone on Discord using a phone, tablet, or computer. No matter what platform you use, you can share videos up to 8MB in size in a chat channel or direct message. If you want to be able to send larger videos (up to 50MB), you can subscribe to Discord Nitro to increase your file sending limits or upload your video to another site, like Google Drive or Dropbox, before you go. simply share a link to your video from an online service like Google Drive or Dropbox.
Method 1 of 2: Use a computer
Step 1. Open the Discord app
You can find it in the Start menu or in the Applications folder.
Step 2. Click on a discussion
Select the discussion in which you want to share the video. It can be a discussion in a server or in a private message.
- To send a video in a direct message, click on the blue Discord icon in the shape of a video game controller and then select the conversation with the person to whom you want to send a message.
- To join a channel, click on the icon of the server where the channel is located in the left pane and then select the name of the channel in question.
Step 3. Click the plus (+) icon
It is located to the left of the entry area at the bottom. Click on it to open your file explorer.
Step 4. Double-click on your video
As long as the video is less than 8MB, you will have the option to type an optional comment or to mark the video as a spoiler.
If the video is too large, you will see an error message saying it cannot be sent. If you subscribe to Discord Nitro, you will be able to upload videos larger than 50MB. Alternatively, you can also upload the video somewhere else (e.g. Dropbox) and share it as a link or just send it with an app other than Discord
Step 5. Add a comment and click Upload
You can also mark the video as a spoiler if needed. The file will be uploaded to the conversation.
Method 2 of 2: Use a phone or tablet
Step 1. Open the Discord app on your phone or tablet
It's the purple icon with a white video game controller inside.
Step 2. Select a discussion or channel
You can upload a video to a channel or send it to someone in a direct message.
- To send a direct message to a person, tap the overlapping silhouette icon at the top right of the person's name and then tap Message.
- To enter a chat channel, tap the three horizontal lines at the top left, select the server where the channel is located, and then tap the channel from the list that appears.
Step 3. Tap the picture icon
It is located to the left of the entry area.
If this is your first time uploading a photo or video, you'll be asked if you want to allow Discord to access your photos. You will need to give it all the permissions to be able to send videos
Step 4. Tap the picture icon again
If you're using an Android device, you'll see a series of icons representing the different types of files you can send. Tap the picture icon again to allow Discord to access the gallery on your phone or tablet.
If the file is not in your gallery, go back to this page and tap the icon that looks like a sheet of paper. This is the Files icon with which you can select files (including videos) from other locations on your Android
Step 5. Select the video you want to send
A preview will appear on the screen.
- If the video is too wide to send, you will see an error message telling you that it is too wide to send. If you subscribe to Discord Nitro, you will be able to upload videos larger than 50MB. If you don't want to go through Nitro, you can upload the video to another location (eg Dropbox) and share it as a link. You can also simply send it via an app other than Discord.
- If you're using an Android device and you can't select a video open your Gallery app, select the video, tap the share icon (a V lying on its side with three dots) then choose Discord. From there, you can choose a channel or send the video by private message.
Step 6. Send the video
Tap the blue circle with a white paper plane inside. The video will be sent to the selected user or channel.
- If the video you want to share is too large for Discord, you can upload it to a site like Google Drive, Dropbox, or iCloud Drive. All of these sites allow you to share a link to the uploaded file wherever you want, including in a Discord channel or private message. Even if you can't send the video directly to Discord, it can be a good alternative.
- You can also upload a video to YouTube or other video hosting site and share the link in a thread or channel. YouTube offers the possibility of sharing up to 15 minutes of video without being verified. To upload longer videos, you will simply need to verify your account.
- Video editing software like Handbrake and QuickTime are great for reducing the size of video files.
- Discord's built-in player can play videos in MP4, MOV, and WEBM formats. If the video is in another format, the recipient will need to open it in another application.